This snippet is from a much larger script that runs succesfully. However, it does not find all computers in the domain. My catch statement correctly identifies the computer name, that is not found.....BUT some of the "not found" computers are really there. What could be blocking access on these computers to the info? Script is running on a 2008 R2 Server....PS 3.0. Some of the missing computers are Windows 7 but not all. There XP's missing as well.
The account that you're running the script should be administrator on those hosts, and every host needs some settings to allow an RPC call. This can be set in a GPO, I think it's "allow inbound remote administration exception".
by GregSmith at 2013-01-28 08:44:13
Many thanks! I am runnig script as a domain admin. I will check the RPC settings and retry.
by GregSmith at 2013-01-28 10:00:36
I enabled GPO "allow inbound remote administration exception" on one of the computers that could not be read and repeated the script. It again, failed to pull off the info. I turned off silentlycontinue in my script and the error message is "RPC Server is unavailable". I looked at the RPC services on the computer in question and they are all started except the locator (Win7).
by GregSmith at 2013-01-29 04:02:51
Klass gave me the correct answer. Turns out I had to enableGPO "allow inbound remote administration exception" in both the domain and standard profile.
The topic ‘Not finding Computers in domain - New PS User’ is closed to new replies.