Obtaining TargetPath of a shortcut without expanding environment variables

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Obtaining TargetPath of a shortcut without expanding environment variables

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  fgimian 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 1

Hey guys, I have a shortcut with the following target:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\NirSoft\ControlMyMonitor\ControlMyMonitor.exe /LoadConfig "%LOCALAPPDATA%\NirSoft\ControlMyMonitor\Configs\Cinema.cfg" Primary

However, when using WScript.Shell to obtain the link properties, I see;

PS C:\Users\Fots> $wshShell = New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell
    PS C:\Users\Fots> $wshShell.CreateShortcut('C:\Users\Fots\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\NirSoft\ControlMyMonitor Cinema.lnk')

FullName         : C:\Users\Fots\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\NirSoft\ControlMyMonitor Cinema.lnk
    Arguments        : /LoadConfig "%LOCALAPPDATA%\NirSoft\ControlMyMonitor\Configs\Cinema.cfg" Primary
    Description      :
    Hotkey           : Alt+Ctrl+3
    IconLocation     : ,0
    RelativePath     :
    TargetPath       : C:\Users\Fots\AppData\Local\NirSoft\ControlMyMonitor\ControlMyMonitor.exe
    WindowStyle      : 1
    WorkingDirectory :

Notice that the TargetPath has had %LOCALAPPDATA% expanded to the directory.

Is there a way to obtain the TargetPath without expanding environment variables? (i.e. TargetPath should be %LOCALAPPDATA%\NirSoft\ControlMyMonitor\ControlMyMonitor.exe)

Huge thanks in advance!!
    Fotis

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.