one zip file, but certain files to different locations

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Beer 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Graham Beer
    Participant

I'm trying to work out how i can achieve this.

I have one zip file that i want extract and 6 files go in one folder, a different 6 to another.

The files are the same name but change slightly per month as part of a release.

I'll be using the below to unzip the files :

Add-Type -assembly "system.io.compression.filesystem"

[io.compression.zipfile]::ExtractToDirectory($Location, $destination)

But how can i move certain files to different locations ? Could i create an XML file ? Or create two hash tables and copy them to required locations ?

XML would be good, but not sure how to go about this.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

In a single unzip operation, you can't send the files to different destinations. You have to unzip them first, and then move them to where you want them.

Graham Beer
    Participant

OK, thanks Don.
    Just for my own reference, could i set directory paths through XML and use powershell to look at the XML and do the copy ? I'm happy i could do this through splatting but interested by the learning the XML way.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

I'm not sure what "the XML way" even is :). I'm not aware of a command that can take an XML file as input to a file copy operation.

Graham Beer
    Participant

OK Don. My Mistake, thought i could do this sort of thing with XML.
    Thanks for your time.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Is there something I'm missing? I mean, was there something somewhere you read along those lines? Just because I'm not aware doesn't mean it doesn't exist, so if you've seen something I'd love to have a look!

Graham Beer
    Participant

Sorry Don, no i've not seen anything. Just curious to know if it could be done. Thought it could be quite cool ! 🙂

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Time for you to write a command that does :).

Graham Beer
    Participant

Ha ha, Sounds like a challenge, i'll crack on !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.