OnRamp (potential first time attendee)

Welcome Forums Non-Technical Discussions Summiteers OnRamp (potential first time attendee)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Keymaster
1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Participant

Hello, powershellers.

I am happy that I found this event in time to actually potentially have a chance to attend.

About Me:

I am currently an Intermediate Windows System Administrator with about 6 months in this role.  My previous role was titled "OS Programmer" which I held for 3 years as associate level and 3 as intermediate level. It really amounted to software packaging and client administration.

I have been working with powershell pretty consistently for about 7 years.  I initially learned powershell by osmosis when I first started working as a student software packager.  The team I was working with wrapped all of their SCCM software installs with a common powershell script.

Since then, I have done much with powershell.  I have gathered information for and repaired failed software installs.  I query AD.  I created all of the collections in my new SCCM environment.  I find information about SCCM packages, deployments and maintenance windows.  I sometimes use it to find data in large csv files.  In my last role, I wrote the first version of our software wrapper script that handled msi and exe installations, file copies, registry imports, custom cmd scripts.  The same script was also able to uninstall the software it installed.  I have occasionally queried WMI and used a few .net functions, though I am not as quick with the .net.  I'm working on a semi automated user termination script.

So, the question I have is, should I be at OnRamp, or the main Summit event?

Any guidance you can provide would be most helpful.  Thanks.

Participant

@donj is this an orphaned forum?  Should I not have posted this here?

-mike

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

No, this is not an orphaned forum. There just aren't a lot of people monitoring it.

OnRamp is essentially a live delivery of “Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches.” If you feel you've mastered that material (it's worth scanning the table of contents, perhaps), then I'd aim for the main Summit tracks instead.

Participant

Don,

Thanks.  Provided my funding gets approved, looks like I will be looking at the main summit tracks.  Might just have to brush up on the remoting sections.

Thanks again-

Participant

I am a beginner to PS and have been self-learning for 6 months now.

I am very eager to register for the Summit in Apr-2019, with the intention of attending the ON RAMP for beginners. According to the OnRamp brochure which I just downloaded, this class is limited to 40 persons, so I'd like to register soonest for it. But I'd like to be sure it is not yet CLOSED so I don't end up registering for a closed event within the SUMMIT.

I have immersed myself in the book "Learn PS in a Month of Lunches" up to Variables, but skipping examples that didn't interest me, e.g., Active Directory, remoting, multi-tasking with background jobs.  For personal reasons having to do with related applications, I have immersed myself into Data Sets (MS ACCESS database) and EXCEL related aspects of Powershell, and find these "extensions" remarkably powerful.  So my objectives in attending the ON RAMP are (i) to strengthen my "PS basics" along the lines of pipeline processing — a subject I still feel I do not have a complete understanding of;  (ii) writing better PS code in the "Powershell culture" with better, cleaner functions as the main building block; (iii) furthering the use of Powershell in the direction of interfacing with MS-ACCESS and EXCEL files.

I would like to register soonest for ON RAMP, but want to know if room is still available for me to attend ON RAMP — I do not wish to register and then be told ON RAMP is no longer available, considering that your policy is a non-refundable policy.  Please advise soonest.

Thanking you in advance.

Keymaster
    Team Member

Hey Ramon,

Tickets go in sale 1-November.

Participant

Many thanks again Mr James Petty ... as a beginner, I found it hard to digest the amount of info about the SUMMIT — this is not meant to criticize the great job you are all doing as volunteers, but just a novice/beginner's struggle in trying to "fit into" the PS.org culture.

I find the non-ON RAMP tracks to be quite "specialized" and advanced (requires more than just getting past the "Learn PS In A Month of Lunches"  book, in my opinion) ... but I am very thrilled that there is only one that will "best fit" me / my level so far:  the one on EXCEL (which is the main reason I went into PS).  However, I intend to sign up for ON RAMP, and so I will miss this session (1 PM on last day) ... am wondering if this session will be taped/recorded on video for those who miss it.

Thanks again.

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

All breakouts are recorded.

You might peruse the Summiter Manual (Survival Guide) – it's a good concise way to see what's happening and learn about how we do stuff like handle recordings.

Participant

Thank you Mr Jones.

Is it correct to assume that recorded sessions will then be made available (at some time after the entire conference is over) on some website for all attendees to view/download?

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

There's no need to assume anything. If you review The Summiteer Manual, which is linked from PowerShellSummit.org, it has a short chapter explaining exactly how the recordings work.

Past Summit videos have always been posted to YouTube.com/powershellorg and that isn't expected to change.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.