Open new shells for monitoring

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Adam Bertram Adam Bertram 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Dan Iverson
    Dan Iverson
    Participant

Is there any way to run a script and have it open new shells that run their part of the program. So I start a script and if it references a subroutine that is its own PowerShell script, can I make it open a new shell so I can watch it run?

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Dan,

I'm not sure if I understand the scenario correctly but I can offer an idea how to open new detached shells running another script or the same script with parameters.

Start-Process -FilePath PowerShell.exe -ArgumentList '-File PingMonitor.ps1', '-SystemGroup Webserver'

Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

Can you elaborate a little more on what you're trying to do? If you just want to spawn another powershell.exe process you can just put something like this in a script.

powershell.exe -FilePath C:\Somescript.ps1

Dan Iverson
    Participant

Let's say I run a script against 5 servers. I want the script that I am running to open up new shells for each server and show the progress of each server independently. Like running a jobs, but it actually open a new shell.

Adam Bertram
    Participant

Can I ask why it matters that multiple shells are open? I've personally never ran into a situation where I needed to explicitly specify different shells. Perhaps there's a better way to get done what you need.

Dan Iverson
    Participant

start-process powershell -argumentlist "-noexit -command Get-process"
    This works perfect!

It's probably not a good reason, but our team lead built a script for patching all the windows servers and the script used perl, psexec and powershell. I wanted to rewrite it all in PowerShell, but one of the things that the team likes is that when they run the script it opens a dos shell for each server so they can monitor the progress of each one and if it fails or stops, they can address that server individualy.

I got this answer from another forum.

Thanks for your responses.

Adam Bertram
    Participant

I see. Thanks. I'm glad you got what you were looking for. However, what you're doing could easily be accomplished and much-simplified via a single Powershell script. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to take on a new project! 🙂

Dan Iverson
    Participant

That is what I am saying, I want to rewrite the whole thing in one PowerShell script.

Adam Bertram
      Participant

Oh, sorry about that. I misunderstood. If you'd like, explain what you're doing further and we can help.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

Can you post your code, explain what is occurring and what the expected result is? If the code is lengthy, save it as a .TXT file and upload it to your post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.