This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Participant

Hi,

I'm currently downloading and installing the vlc player silently:

When i run the following, all is fine.

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://www.vlcwebsite.." -OutFile "c:\support\vlc-3.0.3-win64.exe"
    & "c:\support\vlc*.exe" /L=1031 /S

I want to change the outfile to read c:\support\vlc.exe or something similar because the version of the vlc player will change.

If I run the following, the file gets downloaded but nothing happens with the install.

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://www.vlcwebsite.." -OutFile "c:\support\vlc.exe"
    & "c:\support\vlc.exe" /L=1031 /S

Does anyone know what would be the best way to approach this, is the problem the outfile?

Thanks

js

Participant
    Helping Hand

This doesn't work?

c:\support\vlc.exe /L=1031 /S

Participant

Unfortunately not. If I run the c:\support\vlc.exe /L=1031 without the /S switch, it pops up the installer. If I run this, c:\support\vlc.exe /L=1031 /S, nothing seems to happen.

Is there a way to be non-specific about the outfile, could I use a -like switch?
      I just don't know how to deal with the change in the vlc.exe name from the website.

Thanks for the support.

Participant
    Helping Hand

Try using Start-Process instead and pass your switches as part of the ArgumentList:

Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Support\vlc.exe" -ArgumentList '/L=1031','/S' -NoNewWindow

Participant

Hi Joel,

Thanks for that, that helped me a lot.

The topic ‘Outfile Question’ is closed to new replies.