Output 5 properties as a table?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  js 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

js
    Participant

Is there some variable I can set to 5 instead of 4, so that 5 properties in a script will output as a table instead of a list by default?

PS /Users/js> [pscustomobject]@{name='me';address='here';city='la';state='ca';zip=11111
      PSTypeName = 'MyObject'}   

name    : me
    address : here
    city    : la
    state   : ca
    zip     : 11111

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Nope. Use format-table.

js
      Participant

How does get-process do it? Can I have a script output a new object, and then use a simple here-string or file with update-formatdata that makes it use format-table by default? I guess [OutputType('MyObject')] doesn't work in scripts.

EDIT:
      Ok, I have "PSTypeName = 'MyObject'"

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Get-Process has a predefined view in a .format.ps1xml file; that mandates that the output object have a unique type name (which you can apply). Covered extensively in “PowerShell In Depth” if you're interested ;). But yes, you apply a custom type name to the object, and then import a .format.ps1xml file.

js
      Participant

How does the format file pick whether the default view is table or list?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

The format file defines a view, which I s either a table view or a list view. If it defines more than one, then the first one is the one it uses unless you use the -Name parameter of a Format- command to specify a different view. Process objects, for example, have two defined table views and the first one is the one you normally see.

js
      Participant

Ok, here it is. It would be nice if I could use a here-string.

update-formatdata myobject.format.ps1xml
      [pscustomobject]@{name='me';address='here';city='la';state='ca';zip=11111
        PSTypeName = 'MyObject'}

Name             Address          City             State            Zip
      ----             -------          ----             -----            ---
      me               here             la               ca               11111

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.