output to file

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A output to file

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Participant

I have written a script that works as expected, however the log file is not populated and need to have the changes made create a log file, and keep appending the file anytime the scrip has run.  Still pretty new to powershell so I dont completely understand piping yet.  Can I get some help how I would actually show changes made please?

[cmdletbinding()]
    param(
    $Path='C:\Folder',
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$True)]
    [string]$Old=",
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$True)]
    $New_="
    )

Get-ChildItem -path $Path -filter $Old -Recurse | rename-Item -NewName $New -Verbose -confirm |select-Object $Path, $Old, $New | Out-File C:\log.txt

js

Participant
    Helping Hand

Select-object is normally for properties output by the previous command. I think you want to save 3 variables as a string to a text file:

"$Path, $Old, $New" | Out-File C:\log.txt

Or skip the select-object altogether.

Participant

A few things:

1. Default values can't be used with mandatory parameters.
    2. By default Rename-Item does not produce any output so you'll need to use the -PassThru parameter with it.
    3. You'll need to use the property names instead of the variables with Select-Object.
    4. Use SupportsShouldProcess instead of hard coding -Confirm into the script.
    [CmdletBinding(SupportsShouldProcess)]
    param(
    $Path='C:\Folder',
    [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
    [string]$Old = "*.txt",
    [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
    $New = "Test01.txt"
    )
    Get-ChildItem -Path $Path -Filter $Old -Recurse -PipelineVariable info |
    Rename-Item -NewName $New -PassThru |
    Select-Object -Property @{label='Path';expression={$_.Directory}}, @{label='OldName';expression={$info.Name}}, @{label='NewName';expression={$_.Name}} |
    Out-File -FilePath C:\log.txt -Confirm:$false

Participant

When I do a get help on rename-item, it indicates -passThru is not an accepted pipeline input, however -path and -newName are pipeline capable.  I just dont know how I would display them if select-object does not work in this scenario.

Participant

When I do a get help on rename-item, it indicates -passThru is not an accepted pipeline input, however -path and -newName are pipeline capable. I just dont know how I would display them if select-object does not work in this scenario.

Correct. That means it doesn't accept "input" on the -PassThru parameter from the previous command in the pipeline (which is not what Passthru is designed for).

The -PassThru parameter exists on a number of commands that don't normally produce output. Adding -PassThru makes them produce "output". For example, Stop-Service doesn't normally produce any output, but add the -PassThru parameter and it produces output as if you had run Get-Service after running Stop-Service.

What does -PassThru really accomplish? If a command doesn't produce output, it has no results so there's nothing to pipe to another command in the pipeline. By making it produce output (via the -PassThru parameter), it can then be piped to another command.

Participant

When I do a get help on rename-item, it indicates -passThru is not an accepted pipeline input, however -path and -newName are pipeline capable. I just dont know how I would display them if select-object does not work in this scenario.

Correct. That means it doesn't accept "input" on the -PassThru parameter from the previous command in the pipeline (which is not what Passthru is designed for).

The -PassThru parameter exists on a number of commands that don't normally produce output. Adding -PassThru makes them produce "output". For example, Stop-Service doesn't normally produce any output, but add the -PassThru parameter and it produces output as if you had run Get-Service after running Stop-Service.

What does -PassThru really accomplish? If a command doesn't produce output, it has no results so there's nothing to pipe to another command in the pipeline. By making it produce output (via the -PassThru parameter), it can then be piped to another command.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll do some follow up with your comments to better understand this concept.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.