Package Resource : ProductID

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Craig Martin 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

David Stiff
    Participant

Hello,

Is there a way to know the ProductID of a given product?

I am seeing this in the Event Log:

"Package from \\DSCSERVER\setup.exe was installed, but the specified ProductId and/or Name does not match package details ."

DSC continues to try to reinstall every 30 minutes, I assume because the GUID I used doesn't match the real ProductID.

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave Wyatt

What software are you installing? ProductID only exists for Windows Installer (msi) packages, and your setup.exe installer may or may not be a wrapper around an MSI.

To get the Product ID of an MSI package, I usually just install the software manually on a test machine, then grab it from the registry. For example, under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, I can find that the product ID for my version of 7zip is 23170F69-40C1-2702-0920-000001000000 (because the key for the software is named for that GUID, and the UninstallString / ModifyPath values in the key contain this command: MsiExec.exe /I{23170F69-40C1-2702-0920-000001000000} )

Craig Martin

I posted a trick for that a while back, using a snippet from the resource itself:

http://www.integrationtrench.com/2014/12/mini-orca-getting-product-name-and-code.html

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.