Parameters contained in a hash table

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Parameters contained in a hash table

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 2

I’ve been trying to get use a hash table to pass parameters in PowerShell as discussed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_splatting?view=powershell-7#splatting-with-hash-tables.

Here’s a very simple example that shows the problems I’m having.

When I run this (in 5.1 and 7), I get the following error message. I’ve tried this with other cmdlets as well and always gets the same result. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Edit: I’m not sure why, but the image didn’t show up. You can see the output I get here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uDLTWb-sgc9UINesdgfxWP6Jq7k4a20e/view?usp=sharing.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by jbrusoe84.
      Participant
      Topics: 12
      Replies: 542
      Helping Hand
      Participant

Thanks for the response, and I just added the spaces in like you have in your code. However, I get the exact same result. I also tried this on another computer and saw the same output.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by jbrusoe84.
      Participant
      Topics: 5
      Replies: 170
      Helping Hand

Spaces aren’t the issue.  Look at line 6.  What using splatting (using a hash table to pass arguments), the variable is prefaced with an @ symbol not $.  Basically if you leave the $ in you are passing the object referenced by that variable as a positional argument (position 0) and not splatting across named parameters (in this example).

Participant

Thank you. I guess I am so used to using $ that I totally overlooked that in the code and at the MS site.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.