Partial string match on a list

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Simon Holman
    Simon Holman
    Participant

I am using the script from http://cloudtidings.com/2010/08/03/dpm-2010-powershell-script-to-auto-protect-vms-as-they-get-added-to-a-csv-cluster/ to auto add new VM's to my DPM Protection Group.

I need to have a list of VM's to exclude from being auto added to the group.

Outside this section

foreach ($ds in $unprotectedDSList)
    {
    write-host "Adding data source" $ds.Name "to" $MPG.FriendlyName
    $npg = Add-ChildDatasource -ProtectionGroup $MPG -ChildDatasource $ds

# 12.1 Disk Allocation is skipped in case of short term protection being to tape.
    if($MPG.protectionmethod -eq $tape) {continue;}
    $x = Get-DatasourceDiskAllocation -Datasource $ds
    Set-DatasourceDiskAllocation -Datasource $ds -ProtectionGroup $MPG
    }

I need to have a list of servers (something like $VMsToIgnore = @("SQL01", "EXCH01")) and test them against $ds.Name within the loop to see if there's a match. The trouble is that $ds.Name may be "Offline\EXCH01" or "Online\EXCH01" so I can't do a direct -compare against my list.

How would I do the check?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

There are several ways. One approach I've used for this kind of thing in the past is to convert the array into a single regex, which can be used with the -match or -notmatch operators:

$VMsToIgnore = @('SQL01', 'EXCH01') 
    $pattern = ($VMsToIgnore | ForEach-Object { [regex]::Escape($_) }) -join '|'

{
        if ($ds.Name -match $pattern) { continue }
        # ... do other stuff
    }

You could also use wildcard patterns and the -like operator, something like this:

$VMsToIgnore = @('*SQL01*', '*EXCH01*') 

{
        if ($VMsToIgnore | Where-Object { $ds.Name -like $_ }) { continue }
        # ... do other stuff
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.