Pass Variable of System Names to New-PSSession

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brandon Lashmet Brandon Lashmet 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Brandon Lashmet
    Brandon Lashmet
    Participant

I'm trying the following to get the VM host of several remote systems:

$Systems = Get-Content systems.txt
    $CommaDelimitedSystemsList = $Systems -join ","
    $Sessions = New-PSSession -cn $CommaDelimitedSystemsList -cred UsernameHere
    Invoke-Command -Session $Sessions -ScriptBlock {(get-item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtual Machine\Guest\Parameters").GetValue("HostName")} 

Everything works fine if If I type out the comma delimited list.

However, when I use the variable $CommaDelimitedSystemsList, I get the error "New-PSSession : One or more computer names are not valid. If you are trying to pass a URI, use the -ConnectionUri parameter, or pass URI objects instead of strings."

The values are getting stored correctly in $CommaDelimitedSystemsList, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Try just -ComputerName $Systems . You want to be passing an array of computer names to that parameter, not a single comma-delimited string. (When you type it out yourself, assuming that you haven't put the whole thing in quotes, the commas act as an operator in PowerShell that create an array.)

Profile photo of Brandon Lashmet
    Brandon Lashmet
    Participant

I thought that's what I tried initially and checking here made me think it needed a comma delimited string.

However, looks like this works!

$Systems = Get-Content systems.txt
    $Sessions = New-PSSession -cn $Systems -cred UsernameHere
    Invoke-Command -Session $Sessions -ScriptBlock {(get-item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtual Machine\Guest\Parameters").GetValue("HostName")}

Frustrating because I could have sworn I tried that first, but relieved since it works the way I thought it should.

Thanks for your help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.