Passing Data from CSV

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of TommyQuality TommyQuality 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of TommyQuality
    TommyQuality
    Participant

Hi,

I need to create multiple groups within a DSC script. Im using a hashtable to pass the data through.

$Nodes = @(
    @{NodeName = "TESTWEB01";Role = "IIS";PSDscAllowPlainTextPassword = $true},
    @{NodeName = "TESTWEB02";Role = "IIS";PSDscAllowPlainTextPassword = $true},
    @{Nodename = "*";Features = "Web-Mgmt-Tools","WEb-Scripting-Tools" , "Web-Mgmt-Service"
    })

but i need to add groups to the hashtable that will contain GroupName and Description, whats the best way to achieve this – Could i use

@{Nodename = "*";Features = "Web-Mgmt-Tools","WEb-Scripting-Tools" , "Web-Mgmt-Service;groups=(Get-Content "C:\groups.csv"

Or do i need to add each group to my hashtable as individual key/value pairs?

Thanks

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Well... I'd say, "have you tried it?" As written, no, that won't work. But that's because you haven't told PowerShell to actually execute your Get-Content. In double quotes, that's normally done as a subexpression, a la "blah blah $(Get-Content whatever.txt)". If I were experimenting, that's what I'd try first.

Profile photo of TommyQuality
    TommyQuality
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Don, I didn't really mean to ask will this work, it's more whats best? I mean i could just create loads of DSC Group Resources in the script and assign the Name, Description and members, but that doesn't seem like the best way to do it.

I could populate the hash table with individual groups, but then the hash table would be massive, so i suppose i have answered my own question and should use get-content or import-csv, unless there is a better way?

Thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.