Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Passing multiple values for the same parameter using -ArgumentList

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 42
      Replies: 174
      Helping Hand

I want to use Invoke-Command to run a Function on remote servers. The Function has 2 parameters, I want to pass a value to one of the parameters. How do I specify which parameter the value is for when I use Argumentlist ?

The command I’m using is:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Servers -ScriptBlock ${function:Set-MsxEncryption} -ArgumentList

The Function I’m calling is:

Function Set-MsxEncryption
      {
      param(
      [string]$MachineName=$env:computername,
      [string]$MsxValue="1"
      )
      $reg = [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey('LocalMachine', $MachineName)
      $regKey = $reg.OpenSubKey("SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Microsoft SQL Server\\Instance Names\\SQL" )
      $regkey.GetValueNames() | ForEach-Object {
      $inst=$regKey.GetValue($_)
      $path="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Microsoft SQL Server\\"+$inst+"\\SqlServerAgent\\";
      $MsxEncryption=$reg.OpenSubKey($path).GetValue("MsxEncryptChannelOptions");
      if($MsxEncryption-ne$MsxValue){
      "it's $MsxEncryption needs set to $MsxValue"
      $Msx=$reg.OpenSubKey($path,$true)
      $Msx.SetValue("MsxEncryptChannelOptions",$MsxValue,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind]::DWORD)
      }else{"Is already set to $MsxValue"}
      }
      }

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 1164
      Helping Hand

You can pass it positionally, the function will bind it positionally.

$MachineName=$env:computername
      $MsxValue=1
      Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Servers -ScriptBlock ${function:Set-MsxEncryption} -ArgumentList $MachineName,$MsxValue

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 45
      Helping Hand

There is another approach as well by using $using:
      It’s important to know that when you Invoke-Command the script block doesn’t know about your variables unless you have 3.0 or higher (or was this a 4.0 feature?) where we got the new USING variable scope which let us grab information from the calling script. If you use $using:MachineName & $using:MsxValue, you don’t need to pass MachineName & MsxValue in the argument list, too.

Example 

Function Set-MsxEncryption {
          [string]$MachineName = $using:MachineName
          [string]$MsxValue = $using:MsxValue

$reg = [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey('LocalMachine', $MachineName)
          $regKey = $reg.OpenSubKey("SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Microsoft SQL Server\\Instance Names\\SQL" )
          $regkey.GetValueNames() | ForEach-Object {
              $inst = $regKey.GetValue($_)
              $path = "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Microsoft SQL Server\\" + $inst + "\\SqlServerAgent\\";
              $MsxEncryption = $reg.OpenSubKey($path).GetValue("MsxEncryptChannelOptions");
              if ($MsxEncryption -ne $MsxValue) {
                  "it's $MsxEncryption needs set to $MsxValue"
                  $Msx = $reg.OpenSubKey($path, $true)
                  $Msx.SetValue("MsxEncryptChannelOptions", $MsxValue, [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind]::DWORD)
              }
              else {"Is already set to $MsxValue"}}

}

$MachineName=$env:computername
      $MsxValue=1
      Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Servers -ScriptBlock ${function:Set-MsxEncryption}

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Passing multiple values for the same parameter using -ArgumentList’ is closed to new replies.