Passing the contents of a csv file through to a cmdlet

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stewart Meyer Stewart Meyer 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Stewart Meyer
    Stewart Meyer
    Participant

I am new to PowerShell and I'm having trouble understanding what's going on here.

I have a simple csv file whose contents look like this:
    "name"
    "DLT600-101"
    "DLT600-106"
    "DLT600-107"

These are computer names. I want to run Test-Connection against them.

I import the csv file and store it in an array:

[array]$A = Import-Csv "e:/computernames.csv"

If I display A$ I get:

name
    —-
    DLT600-101
    DLT600-106
    DLT600-107

So far, so good.

Then I try to run the connection test against this array:

Test-Connection -ComputerName $A

What I get is a series of error messages that all begin like this:

Test-Connection : Testing connection to computer '@{name=DLT600-101}' failed: A non-recoverable error occurred during a database lookup.

So my questions are 1) why does '@{name=DLT600-101}' appear there, instead of 'DLT600-101', and 2) what am I doing wrong?.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

That's because the -ComputerName parameter expects one or more strings. You've given it an array of non-String objects.

Test-Connection -Computername ( Import-CSV whatever.csv | Select -Expand Name )

You could also:

$A = Import-CSV whatever.csv | Select -Expand Name
    Test-Connection -ComputerName $A

That's probably what you want. This "extracts" the values from the Name properties of the objects, leaving you with plain-old strings. This is one of the many fun and interesting techniques, using this exact example along with others, in "Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches," and it's an excellent example of how PowerShell is very object-oriented in how it works.

Stewart Meyer
    Participant

It's so obvious when you see how it's done. A bit like having a magic trick explained to you. Thanks very much!

Stewart Meyer
    Participant

I have another problem, which I suspect is of the same nature:

I want to rename a room calendar mailbox. I begin by displaying a grid view of all the existing room names:

Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails RoomMailbox | select name | sort name |
    out-gridview -OutputMode Single -Title "Which room do you want to rename?" -OutVariable oldname

This fills the variable $oldname with the name of the room I want to rename.

I fill in a few other variables with the new name, the alias and the email address.

Then I try to run the Set-Mailbox command:

Set-Mailbox -identity $oldname -Name $newname -Alias $alias -DisplayName $newname -Emailaddresses $email

I get an error message:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert value "" to type
    "Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxIdParameter". Error: "Parameter values of type
    Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxIdParameter can't be empty. Specify a value, and try again.
    Parameter name: identity"
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Set-Mailbox], ParameterBindin...mationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,Set-Mailbox
    + PSComputerName : ps.outlook.com

If I fill in the identity with a hard-coded string everything works fine, including the other variables.

I have tried a hundred different ways, but I cannot get the trick to this!

As I may have mentioned, I am a noobie to PowerShell!

Thanks!

Profile photo of Liam Kemp
    Liam Kemp
    Participant

Hi Stewart,
    I'm fairly new to some of the more intricate parts of PowerShell, but what appears to be happening is that the parameter

-outvariable

is not actually storing any output inside your variable. This might be because Out-Gridview is meant for displaying information after you have done all the processing, I am just guessing.

What I would try is

$oldname = Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails RoomMailbox | select name | sort name |
    out-gridview -OutputMode Single -Title "Which room do you want to rename?"
    Set-Mailbox -identity $oldname -Name $newname -Alias $alias -DisplayName $newname -Emailaddresses $email

Profile photo of Nagendra Narembally
    Nagendra Narembally
    Participant

Hi,

Iam new to the powershell world but I have observed that OGV is storing the values in hash table where set-mailbox identity parameter is asking for a array format.

You can set the value like below

Set-Mailbox -identity $oldname.name -Name $newname -Alias $alias -DisplayName $newname -Emailaddresses $email

Stewart Meyer
    Participant

Thanks everyone. That was helpful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.