Passing variables with Invoke

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Will Anderson 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

Brian Clanton
    Participant

I am having problems getting accurate information from a invoke command and I isolated the issue to how I am using the scriptblock with a local variable. I have to use invoke since to retrieve a list of ip addresses, I need to remote to a server that is on the same domain as my terminal servers.

I have a Session created on my domain controller.

$TSsession = New-PSSession -ComputerName 10.221.21.2 -Credential $credential

This is the correct answer for this particular server's IP address.

(Invoke-Command -Session $TSsession -ScriptBlock {[System.Net.Dns]::GetHostAddresses("w12-r12-01s")}).ipaddresstostring

However, i want to loop through an array of servers, but when I have the value of that server saved as a string to a variable, I receive erroneous results where it spits out the name of the domain controller and not the server 'w12-r12-01s.

Value of $TerminalServer, which is a string

PS C:\Users\bclanton\Google Drive\Code\PS_Code> $TerminalServer
    W12-R12-01S
    PS C:\Users\bclanton\Google Drive\Code\PS_Code> $TerminalServer | Get-Member

TypeName: System.String

Name             MemberType            Definition                                                                                                                                                       
    ----             ----------            ----------                                                                                                                                                       
    Clone            Method                System.Object Clone(), System.Object ICloneable.Clone()                                                                                                          
    CompareTo        Method                int CompareTo(System.Object

Now when I pass this variable to the same invoke command, I get the wrong IP address as well as the IPV6 address.

PS C:\Users\bclanton\Google Drive\Code\PS_Code> (Invoke-Command -Session $TSsession -ScriptBlock {[System.Net.Dns]::GetHostAddresses($TerminalServer)}).ipaddresstostring
    fe80::a853:de5a:51:cbc1%12

Anyone see my error?

Will Anderson
    Keymaster

Hey there Brian,

Try $using inside a Invoke-Command:

PS C:\Users\bclanton\Google Drive\Code\PS_Code> (Invoke-Command -Session $Using:TSsession -ScriptBlock {[System.Net.Dns]::GetHostAddresses($TerminalServer)}).ipaddresstostring

Jeremy Murrah
    Participant

variables you create on your local machine don't get passed over to the remote session. You're effectively passing $Null to the GetHostAddresses method which causes it to return the local IP (local in the remote session if that makes sense).

Couple of different ways to pass that variable, this one should work

(Invoke-Command -Session $TSsession -ArgumentList $Terminalserver -ScriptBlock {[System.Net.Dns]::GetHostAddresses($args[0])}).ipaddresstostring

You can also do a param() block in your scriptblock code and receive the -argumentlist variables that way, but $args works also

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.