Please explain behavior

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bob McCoy Bob McCoy 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jay Q
    Jay Q
    Participant

I'm very new to powershell and am writing a script to reboot our Citrix XenApp servers. I think I'm doing everything well, but am getting stuck in one part and can't really understand.

So the script will go and query a workergroup to get all the servers on the workergroup, it will then change the logon to Prohibit logons until a restart.
    It then selects all the servers with a zero load and bulk reboot them.

I want to put a time-freeze so that it will run again in about 5 hours.
    This time, I want to select all the servers from that same workergroup with -eq logon prohibited with a zero load. But upon sending the reboot command prior, the servers that have a load upon the first initial reboot, they change the logon state to "Allowlogon" without rebooting the server. HELP

I'm attaching my little script below.

Add-PSSnapin CITRIX*

#select servers
    $InitialReboot = Get-XAWorkerGroupServer -computername name -WorkerGroupName reboot-every2days

#disable login
    $InitialReboot | Set-XAServerLogOnMode -LogOnMode ProhibitNewLogOnsUntilRestart

#reboot servers with 0 load
    $InitialReboot | Get-XAServerLoad -ComputerName name | where load -eq 0
    Restart-Computer $InitialReboot.servername -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

#second reboot – five hours later
    $CycleReboot = Get-XAWorkerGroupServer -ComputerName name -WorkerGroupName reboot-every2days | get-xaserver | Where-Object {$_.logonmode -eq "prohibitlogons"}

When I check this variable, it is empty and when I check the server that had a load during the initial reboot, whkch should be logon -prohibited, it is acutally enabled. When I run line by line, when the Reboot Servers with 0 load runs, it actually doesn't reboot the server but changes the logon state to "Allow logon"

Why is this happening?

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

Hi Jay Q,

I'm not a citrix chap, but these lines stand out to me :

$InitialReboot | Get-XAServerLoad -ComputerName name | where load -eq 0
    Restart-Computer $InitialReboot.servername -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

The first line won't do anything other than list to the screen servers which have a load of 0 because you're not doing anything involving variable assignment or passing the information along the pipeline.

The second line looks like it will restart all the servers in $initialreboot?

Profile photo of Bob McCoy
    Bob McCoy
    Participant

I suspect that pipe after the $InitialReboot on the first line was supposed to the an equal sign (assignment operator) or some other variable was supposed to be assigned to be used in the second statement.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.