Author Posts

February 16, 2018 at 4:12 pm

https://poshgui.com/

Not sure how this hasn't been more heavily publicised.

But for those wanting to dip their toe into gui creation...
Granted it is a limited set of objects you can use in the gui, and you have to manually attatch the events.

just seems like an awesome resource and wanted to share.

February 16, 2018 at 5:06 pm

Yep, and knew about this one for a while now, and it's not bad for the authors attempt.

Yet, why go to a website with limited capability, when you can just download the free Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition, add the PowerShell Extension file, and use the native WPF/WinForms drag and drop designed in VSCE 2K17?

Well, then there is the paid for Sapien PowerShell Studio, full blown , all the bells and whistles, PoSH dedicated Dev Solution. Well, yeah, that one cost real money, but still.
Full disclosure. I've been a SPSS owner / user since v 2010. so, there's that.

But yet, for a really fast, no muss/no fuss / no install quickie GUI WPF form. Not bad at all.

February 16, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Yah, I'm a powershell studio user for a few years as well.

And the other resources are options, however, visual studio 2017 community edition is not a good solution for folks to do company work with, as that violates licensing.
per the MS site for the community edition for organizations:

"An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.
For all other usage scenarios:
In non-enterprise organizations, up to five users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or >$1 Million US Dollars in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above."

So I would be very careful about reccomending that approach to anybody, unless they are doing work for themselves and not for a company. (nobody wants to deal with a bsa audit)

Powershell studio is a cost (granted not a gigantic one compared to visual studio) and for those just beginning, or trying to prove to management the usefulness.

March 7, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Thank you David for recommending my site here 🙂

It was created just as you guys described it – no fuss quick development of simple guis for PowerShell, it never intended to compete with VS or PS Studio 🙂

I have to say i'm still happy and surprised that more that 4000 users registered for this site and more than half of them use it on regular basis