Possible to parse through outlook emails?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris Wolfenden Chris Wolfenden 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of ertuu85
    ertuu85
    Participant

We have a SEP server that sends out emails to a shared IT email box, this sends out alerts for say 'attacked computers'.

I would like to write a script that would read the email sent from the alert and determine it's severity based on the server's that are affected.

Is there a way to accomplish this with powershell?

I found this from Ed Wilson: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2011/05/26/use-powershell-to-data-mine-your-outlook-inbox/

But it seems to just list the inbox.

I do have access to the exchange management shell as well.

Any tips would be appreciated

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

It is but it's easier to use the exchang ews api.

Profile photo of Chris Wolfenden
    Chris Wolfenden
    Participant

You may want to take a look at EWS (Exchange Web Services). I recently dove into it to replace an old scripted outlook mail rule. I ended up using a variety of sites including good ole MSDN so I dont' have any specific sites to recommend but I would a quick search on 'Powershell EWS'. Here's one link I browsed that gives a short example:

http://www.drowningintechnicaldebt.com/GregTate/archive/2015/03/18/using-exchange-web-services-managed-api-in-powershell.aspx

Thanks,
    Chris

Profile photo of ertuu85
    ertuu85
    Participant

Say I have a subfolder called test under Inbox, using the API, how would I specify a subfolder of inbox?

$inbox = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder]::Bind($ews,[Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.WellKnownFolderName]::Inbox) 

Profile photo of Chris Wolfenden
    Chris Wolfenden
    Participant

I'll be honest, I found EWS to have a bit of a learning curve. There may be an easier way (still trying to figure out EWS myself), but you could try:

$inbox = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder]::Bind($ews,[Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.WellKnownFolderName]::Inbox) 
    $folderID = $inbox.FindFolders(10) | Where-Object { $_.DisplayName -eq "Test"} | Select -ExpandProperty ID
    $test =  [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder]::Bind($ews,$folderID)

Thanks,
    Chris

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.