Power shell cacls?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Karbonatom

What I am trying to figure out is a script to inject a security group / User to a list of folders within a directory. I have a directory (\\server\directory) under the directory I have 20 folders with various locations that I want Authenticated users to have read only access to just that level and not the sub folder. Is this possible? I am guessing it's a for each thing. I am new sorry if my questions are annoying just tired of doing each folder one at a time.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

There's nothing wrong with just using CACLS, if you're familiar with that and you have it available. PowerShell does have a Set-Acl cmdlet, but it requires you to fetch and modify the ACL object first, which can be somewhat complicated compared to the command line tools that were available before.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

+1 to Dave. What's native – Get-ACL and Set-ACL – is complex and difficult to use. icacls.exe in particular is awesome and easy, and runs fine in PowerShell.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.