Powershell at your company

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Jones David Jones 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Martin Börjesson
    Martin Börjesson
    Participant

Hi,

Im just curious, what version of powershell is installed on your business servers? We are still on version 2.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

I don't know that you're going to get a lot of responses, but in general, most businesses probably have a variety of versions installed, based on their versions of Windows and software like Exchange which is tied to a specific version. I'll note that v2 is pretty horrifically old, though. Like, 8 years.

Profile photo of Monty
    Monty
    Participant

I try to keep everything at least at 3.0 and any new servers I am deploying if its not incompatible with the Applications is deployed with WMF 5 RTM

Profile photo of Martin Börjesson
    Martin Börjesson
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your replies guys.
    v2 is super old and i want to have at least v3.0 on as many machines as possible. Considering it took me a year to convince
    my colleagues to start using powershell instead of vb-script im guessing i have to spend another year to achieve this.

Profile photo of Richard Diphoorn
    Richard Diphoorn
    Participant

Citing Don: If you can't change your company, change company.

Many companies have technical debt. And this is mostly due to admins. I know that there are other factors like money and incompatibilities, but there is enough room to improve the infrastructure. If it took you one year to convince your colleagues to use PowerShell, then it's a indicator that you're not on the right spot. Do yourself a favor, and look for a place where you can be innovative and productive. Looks to me you're trapped inside a company of the past.

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

V2 – sadly everything is VB scripted and the 'VB Scripters' won't touch Powershell.

Profile photo of David Jones
    David Jones
    Participant

v4, and some v5.1 here. I managed to sneak in v4 into the image process for win7 when we were getting off of XP before the change management process were formalized.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.