powershell - cannot call a method on a null-valued expression

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Simmers Rob Simmers 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of anant p
    anant p
    Participant

All,
    I am trying to execute a powershell script in windows scheduler and getting the following error. "cannot call a method on a null-valued expression". The script runs fine when I execute outside the scheduler. The script logs in to a web page with credentials and has to click on a navigation-tab to enter additional details. The script fails where it tries to "click" the navigation tab. I am using Powershell version 2.0 on windows 2008 R2 and the IE version is 11.0.9600.18524.

here is the html piece from the webpage
    ————————————–

• My Voice
    • Extension
    • Here is the code where it is failing in scheduler. (the code works well outside scheduler)
      ————————————————-
      ($IE.Document.getElementsByTagName("a") | where { $_.innerText -match "Extension" }).click()

I tried to search with href , but still it returns null value while executing through windows scheduler. But works well when executed outside scheduler.
      ($IE.Document.getElementsByTagName("a") | ?{$_.href -match "`#Handling"}

Any one has any suggestions to make it work in scheduler.

Thanks

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

It's doubtful that if it works manually that your query is incorrect. Is the script running under different credentials, a different workstation\server, etc. that would cause issues? You can add some logging to the script to do some troubleshooting and determine where the failure is occuring:

if ($IE) {
        $document = $IE.Document
        $links = $document.getElementsByTagName("a")
        Add-Content -Path C:\Logs\my.log -Value ("Found {0} links" -f $links.Count)
        $myLink = $links | where { $_.innerText -match "Extension" }
        if ($myLink) {
            ($myLink).click()
        }
        else {
            Add-Content -Path C:\Logs\my.log -Value "No links found matching Extension"
        }
    }
    else {
        Add-Content -Path C:\Logs\my.log -Value "Internet Explorer object could not be instantiated"
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.