PowerShell Desired State Configuration on Linux as pull server

Welcome Forums DSC (Desired State Configuration) PowerShell Desired State Configuration on Linux as pull server

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
1 week ago.

• Author

Participant

Is it possible to use a machine on Linux with DSC as DSC pull server (but clients machines have only Windows system)? I will be grateful for any useful information.

Participant
    Helping Hand

AFAIK, No... But it will be possible soon.

Please refer to below link for understanding how it will be...

Desired State Configuration (DSC) Planning Update – September 2018

Participant

thanks for the answer!

Participant

I don't think it will be available soon, or at all, from Microsoft... let me explain:

– Microsoft is not releasing a new version of a DSC Pull Server, their answer is Azure Automation DSC service, and whether that will be available to run on your own linux vm/container or anything is unlikely...
    – Maybe running the 2019 Pull server on Windows and having the SQL server backend on Linux is possible, but I don't think it's the question
    – The community projects that could run on linux are:

• Traek (technically a set of 6 microservices based on NodeJS by former DSC PM Mark Gray who did it on the side)
    • Tug (a .Net Core implementation of the PS-DSCPM protocol, but the Windows PowerShell 5.1 handler would only works on Windows, for obvious reasons)
    • DSCPullaris, a Work-in-progress project based on Polaris by Ben Gelens

Which one will be production-ready first is not defined yet, but do show interest and support if you are interested!

May I ask what's your use case?

Participant

Of course, I have few Windows machines somewhere in network and one Linux server and I want to client machines (Windows) will be able to pull file from server if is changing, download it, stop service, change file, and start service again. I want to make everything as automatic as possible. In the future I want to have possibility to make other changes too.
      Thanks for your answer I am testing Puppet now and I think that this will be good solution of my problem.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.