Powershell Docker cmds into object array

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Edwin Ashdown Edwin Ashdown 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Edwin Ashdown
    Edwin Ashdown
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to run docker commands in powershell and then record the output. The problem is that when you run a docker command in powershell for instance "docker images" , what is returned is a list strings. The structure of columns and values is not available.

So how do i turn the below output into an object array ?
    Docker string output

Thanks in advance.

Edwin

Profile photo of Daan Weda
    Daan Weda
    Participant

Maybe ConvertFrom-String can help you.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

If ConvertFrom-String doesn't work, it's tough to really help without having the actual text. The formatting is going to be space or tab delimited, so you can use ConverFrom-CSV to manipulate the string into an object:

$testTab = @"
    REPOSITORY`tTAG`tIMAGEID
    blue`tlatest`t{GUID}
    red`tlatest`t{GUID}
    purple`tlatest`t{GUID}
    "@

$testTab | ConvertFrom-Csv -Delimiter "`t"

or spaces:

$testSpaces = @"
    REPOSITORY  TAG       IMAGEID
    blue        latest    {GUID}
    red         latest    {GUID}
    purple      latest    {GUID}
    "@

#Replace more than on space with semi-colon
    $testSpaces -replace "[ ]{2,}", ";"
    $testSpaces | ConvertFrom-CSV -Delimiter ";"

Edwin Ashdown
    Participant

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply's.

ConvertTo-String worked a treat , just a matter of working out the format for the template.
    It will have to be unique for every command but otherwise works perfect.

Edwin Ashdown
    Participant

Update:

Using a Template file works but when the template text is in a here-string it errors, no idea why it errors with a disk error.

Any help appreciated.

$template =@'
    {!REPOSITORY*:REPOSITORY}             TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             SIZE
    {REPOSITORY*:microsoft/mssql-server-2014-express-windows}   {TAG:latest}              {IMAGEID:3576f77b8bd5}        {CREATED:2 days ago}          {SIZE:9.97 GB}
    '@

docker images |ConvertFrom-String -TemplateFile $template -OutVariable Images | Out-Null

ConvertFrom-String : Cannot find drive. A drive with the name '{!REPOSITORY*' does not exist.
    At line:10 char:16
    + ... ker images |ConvertFrom-String -TemplateFile $template -OutVariable I ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: ({!REPOSITORY*:String) [ConvertFrom-String], DriveNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DriveNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StringManipulation.ConvertFromStringCommand

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

It's expecting a file path, not a string containing a template. You'd have to save the here-string to temp file and then reference it.

$tempFile = [IO.Path]::GetTempFileName()
    Add-Content -Path $tempFile -Value $template
    docker images | ConvertFrom-String -TemplateFile $tempFile -OutVariable Images | Out-Null

Edwin Ashdown
    Participant

Thank you for the reply.
    You are correct in the that error was due to the ConvertFrom-String parameter of -TemplateFile was expecting a file path but my real issue was that i was using -TemplateFile in the first place, where as i should have been using -TemplateContent with the $variable.

I couldn't see the forrest through the trees.
    Always learning

Edwin Ashdown
    Participant

Rob ,
    I have to say that it was your post that pointed me to my problem as your answer had me wondering why i my code was using a filepath, it was then that i realized that i was using the incorrect parameter.
    So thank you for the answer and the light you shined on my mistake else i would still be wonder what was up.

Cheers
    Edwin

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.