Author Posts

December 23, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Hi i'm new to this but is there a way to install powershell without installing sql management studio and if so can you give me the steps please. Needed Urgently.

December 23, 2016 at 2:49 pm

search for "Download Windows Management Framework"

December 23, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I'm assuming you mean the PowerShell module for SQL Server. If yes, you'll need to download and install a few components from the feature pack. Documentation here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh245198.aspx

Otherwise the PowerShell engine should already be installed if you're using a somewhat recent Windows client or server operating system.

December 24, 2016 at 7:58 pm

If you are looking to remotely manage a SQL server from a system that does not have the SQL Server modules (or any other kind of module), you can try using Implicit Remoting. Don Jones has a write-up here.

If you're new to PowerShell, I recommend getting started with these books to increase your skill and get more comfortable with it:

Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches
Learn PowerShell Toolmaking in a Month of Lunches
PowerShell In Depth
The Pester Book (agile publishing)

December 30, 2016 at 8:28 pm

ok thanks guys for your prompt response but to no avail. Is there a way i can just get the sqlps.exe file and if so where?

December 30, 2016 at 10:40 pm

SO i found a way to install sqlps module...no my problem is its in my program files folder. Now my boss is only said that when i go in cmd and type sqlps /? a bunch of codes should come up and if not then its not installed properly. Can anyone help me make sense and get it working please?