PowerShell ISE $PROFILE

Welcome Forums Pester PowerShell ISE $PROFILE

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
4 months ago.

• Author

Participant

Hi!
    I have been making some scripts and some modules.
    Now i am setting up my $PROFILE and was wondering, what do you guys put in your profile?
    Any tips for me about what to put in here?

Thanks, Sigurd.

Participant
    Helping Hand

This is really a matter of need. So, you will end up with a wide ranging set of responses. Only put in what you need / desire that you use on a daily basis.

You'd have a different configure for the console profile, ISE profile and a VSCode.

I personally use a single profile config and in that template, put logic to check what editor / console in use and branch to what I want loaded. so, this way I really only have one profile to config / manage and backup. Since it is the same info in all named profiles.

Example:

# ISE baseline tools
    If ($Host.Name -match 'ISE')
    {
        Import-Module -Name ISEModuleBrowserAddon
        Start-Sleep -Seconds 9
        Import-Module -Name PsISEProjectExplorer
        Import-Module -Name PSharp
        Import-Module -Name ClassExplorer

#Script Browser Begin
        #Version: 1.3.2
        Add-Type -Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft Script Browser\System.Windows.Interactivity.dll'
        Add-Type -Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft Script Browser\ScriptBrowser.dll'
        Add-Type -Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft Script Browser\BestPractices.dll'
        $scriptBrowser = $psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.VerticalAddOnTools.Add('Script Browser', [ScriptExplorer.Views.MainView], $true)
        $scriptAnalyzer = $psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.VerticalAddOnTools.Add('Script Analyzer', [BestPractices.Views.BestPracticesView], $true)
        $psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.VisibleVerticalAddOnTools.SelectedAddOnTool = $scriptBrowser
        #Script Browser End
    }

# Console Baseline tools

Import-Module -Name PSReadline
    Import-Module -Name Posh-SSH
    Import-Module -Name ModuleLibrary -DisableNameChecking
    Import-Module -Name ClassExplorer

# Set working path
    Push-Location -Path 'D:\Scripts'

# Additional tools 

# Custom Prompt

You will still have 3 profiles for the different environments, but the info in them are identical. So, I only make changes in my profile template and copy that to the three profiles on my system.

Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1
    Microsoft.PowerShellISE_profile.ps1
    Microsoft.VSCode_profile.ps1

I use the same approach on my servers, but with the additional module adds depending on server role. I.e., SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, IIS, AD, etc...

Participant

Here is an example of one of the ways I use my PS profile script.

Windows PowerShell – Realizing your pro(file)tential!

The topic ‘PowerShell ISE $PROFILE’ is closed to new replies.