PowerShell modules missing in Windows 7 -- not installed by KB2819745 upgrade

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeffrey Wagar Jeffrey Wagar 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jeffrey Wagar
    Jeffrey Wagar

On my Windows 7.0 SP1 computer, I downloaded Microsoft's KB2819745 to upgrade it from PowerShell v2.0 to v4.0. Get-Host now returns version 4.0 yet running Get-Module -ListAvailable returns only 20 PowerShell modules. DnsServer, DnsClient, NetAdapter, ScheduledTask, ServerManager, etc. are among the missing.

My Windows 8.1 has a list of 78 modules.

What steps are necessary to acquire those other 50 modules for my Windows 7 computer?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Other than upgrading to Windows 8 or later, you can't. Those are the new CIM modules that rely on parts of WMI which don't exist prior to Windows 8 / Server 2012.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

See also, https://powershell.org/kb/where-is-the-___-command-ive-installed-the-latest-version-of-powershell-and-cant-find-it/

Modules are sometimes a feature of the operating system, not PowerShell itself. Some modules come with PowerShell, others come with a specific version of Windows.

Profile photo of Jeffrey Wagar
    Jeffrey Wagar

Thanks for the quick reply! I did try installing RSAT on the Windows 7 computer last night but it didn't add the PowerShell DNS Modules I sought. I will look into WMI — it probably can retrieve the information, too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.