Powershell Multithreading

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

by justusiv at 2013-04-10 12:36:13

Ok i am a powershell newbie here. I did whip up a script but this single threaded speed is killing me. Thoughts on what i should do here?
    $cred = get-credential #Creds used for the invoke-command
    $abccomputers = "abc.forest.org/abc Computers/DEPT/DEPT Computers/Windows 7/Department"
    $items = Get-QADComputer -SearchRoot $abccomputers
    $abc = ".abc.forest.org"
    $backuptime = 7

foreach ($item in $items){ #Loop all computers found in AD query
    $FQDN = $item.name+$abc #FQDN is required so this converts to FQDN
    if ($item.name -ne "Directory") {
    $version = .\wbadmin.exe get versions -backuptarget:\\DEPTbackup0\e$\ClientBackup -machine:$item.name | select-string Version #this querys the backup to peak at the backup time.
    if ($?) { #If backup is found
    $a = get-date #cleans up date
    $version = $version -replace("Version identifier: ","")
    $days = ($a - [datetime]$version).days
    $hours = ($a - [datetime]$version).hours
    Write-Host $item.Name -foregroundcolor black -backgroundcolor green -nonewline; write-host " AGE:"$days","$hours #displays Computer name + backup age
    if ($days -ge $backuptime){ #Only back if the backup is to old
    Invoke-command -computername $FQDN -cred $cred -auth credssp -scriptblock{ #what kicks off the backup to the computer
    WBADMIN START BACKUP -backuptarget:\\DEPTbackup0\e$\ClientBackup -allcritical -quiet #meat & potatoes
    }
    }
    }
    else { #If backup is not found
    ping $item.Name -n 1 | Out-Null #ON check
    if ($?) { #If on
    Write-Host $item.Name -foregroundcolor black -backgroundcolor Magenta #for visual report
    Write-Host $FQDN -nonewline; write-host " Description:"$item.Description #for visual report
    Invoke-command -computername $FQDN -cred $cred -auth credssp -scriptblock{ #what kicks off the backup to the computer
    WBADMIN START BACKUP -backuptarget:\\DEPTbackup0\e$\ClientBackup -allcritical -quiet #meat & potatoes
    }
    }
    else { #NO backup and off
    Write-Host $item.Name -foregroundcolor black -backgroundcolor red
    }
    }
    }
    }

by DonJ at 2013-04-10 12:51:56

Workflow (parallel) or jobs or switch to C#

by ArtB0514 at 2013-04-10 12:53:56

A little expansion on Don's reply:

Since it doesn't seem like you do anything with what Invoke-Command might return and they seem to be the only parts of the script that might take any time, why not run them -AsJob?

by justusiv at 2013-04-10 13:50:39

Like i said i am very new powershell and i don't really code, Not apologizing just stating so i comply with the rules 🙂
    Once things go out of linear code i got lost. I don't have a reason why i did things that way i did it was just the only way i knew how.
    with the -asjob it processes and proceeds on i assume. With my setup i can only handle a certain amount of jobs at a time. so if i spin up jobs i will need to throttle.
    I have read through this post http://www.get-blog.com/?p=22 but it got complicated quick.

by ArtB0514 at 2013-04-11 06:26:12

Here is where you do this to find out what help topics are available and then read the individual topics:

Get-Help about_*job*

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.