PowerShell Repair?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Peaple 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

John Drake
    Participant

Is there a way to repair (or uninstall and reinstall) PowerShell v4? I'm getting the error below when running get-command and would like to set PowerShell v4.0 back to its "factory defaults" so I can play with version 4 and in particular DSC. (.Net 4.5 Framework is installed.) Thanks.

PS Env:\> $psversiontable

Name Value
    —- —–
    PSVersion 4.0
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.18444
    BuildVersion 6.3.9600.16406
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.2

PS Env:\> get-command
    get-command : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    At line:1 char:1
    + get-command
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Command], NullReferenceException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand

Richard Siddaway

What version of Windows are you using?

PowerShell 4.0 is installed by default on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 – you can't uninstall it from those machines.

John Drake
    Participant

Thanks Richard, Windows 7 (x64) SP1. Until recently I had PowerShell v3, and had no issues with that. I installed WMF4 (after checking I had .Net Framework 4.5 first) and only found I had an issue with PowerShell v4 when "Get-DSCResource" errored. I'm minded to follow Daniel's advice and uninstall then reinstall WMF4 (as I've no idea how to get get-command working).

Richard Siddaway

OK – you can uninstall/reinstall on that platform.

John Drake
    Participant

I'm not confident this is going to work. I uninstalled WMF4 OK. Now I can open the ISE, and see PowerShell is back to v3. But get-command gives a similar error:

PS C:\Users\John> $psversiontable
    get-command
    show-command

Name Value
    —- —–
    PSVersion 3.0
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    BuildVersion 6.2.9200.16481
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0}
    At line:2 char:1
    + get-command
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand

At line:1 char:3
    + @(get-command -CommandType Cmdlet,Function,Script,ExternalScript,Workflow),@(get ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Drake
    Participant

Uninstalling then reinstalling WMF4 did not fix get-command, which still errors, details below. Has anyone got any ideas what I may be doing wrong? This is on Windows 7 SP1 x64.

Name Value
    —- —–
    PSVersion 4.0
    WSManStackVersion 3.0

PS C:\Users\John> get-command
    + get-command
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave Wyatt

This bit looks odd in the error you posted last time:

@(get-command -CommandType Cmdlet,Function,Script,ExternalScript,Workflow),@(get …

That doesn't match the command that you actually entered, according to your post. Just for giggles, try running PowerShell.exe with the -NoProfile switch, then run Get-Command again and see what happens.

John Drake
    Participant

Dave, thanks, I tried this (details below) but still had the issue. Any other ideas? I'd like to reset my PowerShell environment in case there is something like a profile issue, but don't know of any way to do this. Simply uninstalling and reinstalling WMF4 did not fix it (and when WMF4 was uninstalled PS3 still had a similar issue running get-command). I feel like I'm missing something, but don't know what.

C:\>powershell -noprofile
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\> [Environment]::GetCommandLineArgs()
    powershell
    -noprofile
    PS C:\> get-command
    + get-command
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Command], NullReferenceEx
    ception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShe
    ll.Commands.GetCommandCommand

PS C:\>

Peter Jurgens
    Participant

found an old thread with someone experiencing a similar issue.

https://powershell.org/forums/topic/show-command-error-ise/

Can't help but think it is a profile issue. Do you have the same problem if you run Get-Command from the console? Also, try running powershell.exe -noprofile from the run dialog rather than from a commandline/ISE.

Dave Wyatt

After you get the error, please run the following commands to dump more detailed information about it, and post the results here. Based on what I see so far, I'm still not sure what's going on.

$error[0] | Format-List * -Force
    $error[0].Exception | Format-List * -Force

John Drake
    Participant

Thanks Peter and Dave, here's the output (from a -noprofile session, Run "powershell.exe -noprofile")

+ get-command
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Command], NullReferenceEx
    ception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShe
    ll.Commands.GetCommandCommand

PS C:\Users\John> $error[0] | Format-List * -Force

PSMessageDetails :
    Exception : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
    set to an instance of an object.
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand.I
    sCommandMatch(CommandInfo& current)
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand.A
    ccumulateMatchingCommands(IEnumerable`1 commandNames)
    at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.Pro
    cessRecord()
    TargetObject :
    CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Command], NullReferenceException
    FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Comm
    ands.GetCommandCommand
    ErrorDetails :
    InvocationInfo : System.Management.Automation.InvocationInfo
    ScriptStackTrace : at , : line 1
    PipelineIterationInfo : {}

PS C:\Users\John> $error[0].Exception | Format-List * -Force

Message : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Data : {}
    InnerException :
    TargetSite : Boolean
    IsCommandMatch(System.Management.Automation.CommandInfo ByRef)
    StackTrace : at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand.IsComman
    dMatch(CommandInfo& current)
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand.Accumula
    teMatchingCommands(IEnumerable`1 commandNames)
    at
    System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
    HelpLink :
    Source : System.Management.Automation
    HResult : -2147467261

PS C:\Users\John> [Environment]::GetCommandLineArgs()
    C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
    -noprofile

Name Value
    —- —–
    PSVersion 4.0
    WSManStackVersion 3.0

PS C:\Users\John>

Dave Wyatt

So weird... it looks like there may be a bug in Get-Command, but the problem is figuring out what's triggering it. In the other post that Peter found, it was related to the Quest AD cmdlets in some way. It could be that one of the snapins or modules on your system is behaving the same way.

What do you get when you run these commands?

Get-Module -ListAvailable
    Get-PSSnapin
    Get-PSSnapin -Registered

Daniel Krebs

John,

Found an Microsoft KB article related to the Get-Command error. This one is about PowerShell v2 and SQL Server 2008/2008 R2. Do you have SQL Server 2008 components installed on your Win7 machine?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2216478

I think it is worth checking this out and upgrade your SQL Server 2008 components if installed to at least the Service Pack specified in the article.

Please let us know your progress and run Dave's commands as well to gather more details.

Best,
    Daniel

John Drake
    Participant

Dave, thanks, output from those three gets is below

PS C:\Users\John> Get-Module -ListAvailable

Directory: C:\Users\John\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

ModuleType Version Name ExportedCommands
    ———- ——- —- —————-
    Script 0.0 adoLib {New-Connection, new-sqlcommand, invoke-sql, invoke-query...}
    Script 1.0 Agent {Get-SqlConnection, Get-SqlServer, Get-AgentJobServer, Get...
    Script 0.0 ISECreamBasic {Add-IseMenu, Remove-IseMenu}
    Manifest 1.0.0.0 LogHelper {Get-LogFile, Get-LoggingPreference, Set-LogFile, Set-Logg...
    Script 0.0 mySQLLib {New-MySQLConnection, new-MySqlCommand, invoke-MySql, invo...
    Manifest 1.0 NetShell {ConvertFrom-HexIP, ConvertTo-BinaryIP, ConvertTo-Byte, Co...
    Manifest 1.0.1.0 NetworkScan {Find-IPv4Device, Find-SqlServerService}
    Script 0.0 OracleClient {new-oracle_connection, invoke-oracle_query, ConvertTo-ora...
    Script 0.0 OracleIse {Connect-Oracle, Disconnect-Oracle, Prompt, Get-FileName...}
    Script 0.0 PBM {Get-PolicyStore, Get-TargetServer, Write-PolicyEvalError,...
    Script 0.0 PerfCounters {Invoke-Sqlcmd2, Get-ProcessPerfcounter, Write-LogText, Ge...
    Script 0.0 RDS-Manager {Connect-RDSession, Disconnect-RDSession, Get-RDProcess, G...
    Script 1.0 Repl {Get-SqlConnection, Get-ReplServer, Get-ReplLightPublicati...
    Script 1.0 ShowMbrs {New-ShowMbrs, Set-ShowMbrs, Get-GroupUser, Get-ShowMbrs}
    Script 0.0 SQLIse {Test-SqlScript, Out-SqlScript, Invoke-ParseSql, Format-Sq...
    Script 1.0 SQLMaint {Invoke-DBMaint, Get-SqlConnection, Get-SqlServer, Get-Sql...
    Binary 1.0 SQLParser {Test-SqlScript, Out-SqlScript}
    Script 0.0 SQLProfiler {Invoke-Sqlcmd2, Save-InfoToSQLTable, Get-SQLProfiler}
    Script 0.0 SQLPSX
    Script 1.0 SQLServer {Get-SqlConnection, Get-SqlServer, Get-SqlDatabase, Get-Sq...
    Manifest 1.0.1.0 SqlServerDatabaseEngineInformation Get-SqlServerDatabaseEngineInformation
    Manifest 1.0.1.0 SqlServerInventory {Get-SqlServerInventory, Export-SqlServerInventoryToExcel,...
    Script 1.0 SSIS {New-ISApplication, Copy-ISItemSQLToSQL, Copy-ISItemSQLToF...
    Manifest 1.0.0.0 WindowsInventory {Get-WindowsInventory, Export-WindowsInventoryToExcel}
    Manifest 1.0.1.0 WindowsMachineInformation Get-WindowsMachineInformation
    Script 1.0 WPK {Add-CodeGenerationRule, ConvertFrom-TypeToScriptCmdlet, C...

Directory: C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

———- ——- —- —————-
    Manifest 1.0 xActiveDirectory
    Manifest 1.2 xComputerManagement
    Manifest 1.0 xDatabase
    Manifest 1.0 xDscDiagnostics {Trace-xDscOperation, Get-xDscOperation}
    Script 1.1 xDSCResourceDesigner {New-xDscResourceProperty, New-xDscResource, Update-xDscRe...
    Manifest 1.1 xFailOverCluster
    Manifest 2.1 xHyper-V
    Manifest 2.1 xNetworking
    Script 2.0.0.0 xPSDesiredStateConfiguration {New-PSWSEndpoint, Set-AppSettingsInWebconfig}
    Manifest 1.0 xRemoteDesktopSessionHost
    Manifest 1.0 xSmbShare
    Manifest 1.1.1 xSqlPs
    Manifest 1.0 xSystemSecurity
    Manifest 1.2 xWebAdministration

Directory: C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

———- ——- —- —————-
    Manifest 1.0.0.0 AppLocker {Set-AppLockerPolicy, Get-AppLockerPolicy, Test-AppLockerP...
    Manifest 1.0.0.0 BitsTransfer {Add-BitsFile, Remove-BitsTransfer, Complete-BitsTransfer,...
    Manifest 1.0.0.0 CimCmdlets {Get-CimAssociatedInstance, Get-CimClass, Get-CimInstance,...
    Script 1.0.0.0 ISE {New-IseSnippet, Import-IseSnippet, Get-IseSnippet}
    Manifest 3.0.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Diagnostics {Get-WinEvent, Get-Counter, Import-Counter, Export-Counter...
    Manifest 3.0.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Host {Start-Transcript, Stop-Transcript}
    Manifest 3.1.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Management {Add-Content, Clear-Content, Clear-ItemProperty, Join-Path...
    Manifest 3.0.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Security {Get-Acl, Set-Acl, Get-PfxCertificate, Get-Credential...}
    Manifest 3.1.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility {Format-List, Format-Custom, Format-Table, Format-Wide...}
    Manifest 3.0.0.0 Microsoft.WSMan.Management {Disable-WSManCredSSP, Enable-WSManCredSSP, Get-WSManCredS...
    Binary 1.0 PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager, Start-DscConfiguration,...
    Script 1.0.0.0 PSDiagnostics {Disable-PSTrace, Disable-PSWSManCombinedTrace, Disable-WS...
    Binary 1.1.0.0 PSScheduledJob {New-JobTrigger, Add-JobTrigger, Remove-JobTrigger, Get-Jo...
    Manifest 2.0.0.0 PSWorkflow {New-PSWorkflowExecutionOption, New-PSWorkflowSession, nwsn}
    Manifest 1.0.0.0 PSWorkflowUtility Invoke-AsWorkflow
    Manifest 1.0.0.0 TroubleshootingPack {Get-TroubleshootingPack, Invoke-TroubleshootingPack}

PS C:\Users\John> Get-PSSnapin

Name : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core
    PSVersion : 4.0
    Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains cmdlets used to manage components of Windows PowerShell.

PS C:\Users\John> Get-PSSnapin -Registered

Name : SqlServerCmdletSnapin100
    PSVersion : 2.0
    Description : This is a PowerShell snap-in that includes various SQL Server cmdlets.

Name : SqlServerProviderSnapin100
    Description : SQL Server Provider

John Drake
    Participant

Daniel, thanks, I do have SQL 2008 R2 (and SQL 2012) instances on this machine. The SQL 2008 R2 instance is patched to Service Pack 1 (version 10.50.2550, SP1 is 10.50.2500) which is remedy suggested by the article.

Daniel Krebs

Hmm. Please attempt to uninstall the SQL 2008 PowerShell Snap-in, if required for your work make sure you've the new SqlPs module of SQL 2012 installed and try again to run Get-Command.

Thanks
    Daniel

John Drake
    Participant

Daniel, thanks, this is my first attempt at removing a PowerShell snap-in, and I'm not having any success. The snap-in shows in the "get" command but is ignored by the remove command. Am I missing a prefix?

PS Env:\> Get-PSSnapin -Registered

Name : SqlServerCmdletSnapin100
    Description : This is a PowerShell snap-in that includes various SQL Server cmdlets.

Name : SqlServerProviderSnapin100
    Description : SQL Server Provider

PS Env:\> remove-pssnapin -name SqlServerCmdletSnapin100
    remove-pssnapin : No Windows PowerShell snap-ins matching the pattern 'SqlServerCmdletSnapin100' were found. Check the
    pattern and then try the command again.
    + remove-pssnapin -name SqlServerCmdletSnapin100
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (SqlServerCmdletSnapin100:String) [Remove-PSSnapin], PSArgumentExceptio
    n
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoPSSnapInsFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemovePSSnapinCommand

PS Env:\> Get-PSSnapin -Registered | remove-pssnapin -whatif
    remove-pssnapin : No Windows PowerShell snap-ins matching the pattern 'SqlServerCmdletSnapin100' were found. Check the
    pattern and then try the command again.
    At line:1 char:28
    + Get-PSSnapin -Registered | remove-pssnapin -whatif
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (SqlServerCmdletSnapin100:String) [Remove-PSSnapin], PSArgumentExceptio
    n
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoPSSnapInsFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemovePSSnapinCommand

remove-pssnapin : No Windows PowerShell snap-ins matching the pattern 'SqlServerProviderSnapin100' were found. Check
    the pattern and then try the command again.
    At line:1 char:28
    + Get-PSSnapin -Registered | remove-pssnapin -whatif
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (SqlServerProviderSnapin100:String) [Remove-PSSnapin], PSArgumentExcept
    ion

PS Env:\>

Dave Wyatt

This isn't something I've done before either, but it looks like the list of registered Snapins is stored in the registry (under HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\ ), and there are apparently no PowerShell cmdlets for registering or unregistering them. I'd recommend exporting a backup of that key first, then deleting one or both of the SQL snapin keys from that location.

John Drake
    Participant

Dave, thanks, those keys were there. After deleting them and restarting the machine this (below) is what happens. Any other ideas?

PS C:\Users\John> get-pssnapin

Name : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core
    PSVersion : 4.0
    Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains cmdlets used to manage components of Windows PowerShell.

PS C:\Users\John> get-pssnapin -registered
    + get-command
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave Wyatt

Bummer, I was hoping it would be one of those snapins, based on earlier hints of SQL causing the same problem for other people.

Next, I'd try the modules. A quick way of seeing if this will be helpful is to rename your My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules folder, launch PowerShell, and try Get-Command again. If it works, then you can try creating a new Modules folder and moving them in a few at a time. Hopefully, you'll be able to identify one or more modules that are triggering this problem with Get-Command.

John Drake
    Participant

Brilliant, Dave, renaming that modules directory (and I created a fresh empty one) has fixed both get-command and get-dscresource (which was where I started).

I've put in a Connect suggestion (ID 878376) for PowerShell Repair as it seems to me it would be good if there was a simple way to say "take me back to a clean working default installation of PowerShell (and please discard profiles, snap-ins, modules, etc)".

Many thanks for all the help.

PS Env:\> get-command

CommandType Name ModuleName
    ———– —- ———-
    Function A:
    Function B:
    Function C:
    Function cd..
    Function cd\

PS Env:\> get-dscresource

ImplementedAs Name Module Properties
    ————- —- —— ———-
    Binary File {DestinationPath, Attributes, Checksum, Con...
    PowerShell Archive PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Destination, Path, Checksum, DependsOn...}
    PowerShell Environment PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Name, DependsOn, Ensure, Path...}
    PowerShell Group PSDesiredStateConfiguration {GroupName, Credential, DependsOn, Descript...
    Binary Log PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Message, DependsOn}
    PowerShell Package PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Name, Path, ProductId, Arguments...}
    PowerShell Registry PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Key, ValueName, DependsOn, Ensure...}
    PowerShell Script PSDesiredStateConfiguration {GetScript, SetScript, TestScript, Credenti...
    PowerShell Service PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Name, BuiltInAccount, Credential, DependsO...
    PowerShell User PSDesiredStateConfiguration {UserName, DependsOn, Description, Disabled...
    PowerShell WindowsFeature PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Name, Credential, DependsOn, Ensure...}
    PowerShell WindowsProcess PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Arguments, Path, Credential, DependsOn...}
    PowerShell xADDomain xActiveDirectory {DomainAdministratorCredential, DomainName,...

ps_gregg
    Participant

I just discovered that I had the same problem with Get-Command. I didn't realize I had the issue because I rarely run Get-Command without parameters. With the help of this article I tracked it down to the Module "RDS-Manager". Once I removed the module from my modules directory(C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules), Get-Command started working again.

Andy Peaple
    Participant

I had the same problem myself. It was caused by setting StrictMode inside of a module. Once I removed the line, I no longer received the error which incidentally was triggered inside of the PSDesiredStateConfiguration module.

Daniel Krebs

John,

Uninstalling the Windows Management Framework 4.0 (KB2819745) and reinstalling it after a restart might work (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40855).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.