PowerShell Scheduled Job with switch parameter no-op

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A PowerShell Scheduled Job with switch parameter no-op

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 0

Execution Context:
      Updated Windows 10 Pro workstation
      PowerShell 7 & 5.1 (trying in both contexts)

I’ve been running PowerShell scheduled jobs for years (specifically, not Scheduled Tasks). So I am comfortable with the basics of scheduled job registration and execution. However recently I’ve attempted to implement a scheduled job using a switch parameter with no success. My question to the forum is whether anyone else has had success with this specific case and, if so, what method(s) were used (provide a Register-ScheduledJob cmdlet example)? My analysis indicates that I am not registering my scheduled job with its switch parameter correctly but I have not been able to decipher the correct syntax for that.
      At the bottom is a test script I am using for diagnostic tests.
      Notes:
      This script works both interactively (with the switch parameter active) and as a scheduled job (with the Param commented out).
      The CmdletBinging/Param segment is commented out as a success baseline.
      Success is determined by simple Add-Content output generation to the designated log file.
      I register the scheduled job using: “Register-ScheduledJob -Name JobTest -FilePath “C:\Jobs\JobTest.ps1”.
      I run the test job by opening the Windows Task Scheduler UI, navigating to “Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\PowerShell\ScheduledJobs” and right-clicking the JobTest job (created via the Register-ScheduledJob cmdlet) to select “Run”.
      When I uncomment the switch parameter declaration I can provide the switch parameter on a command line to execute interactively without issue.
      The issue arises when I attempt to run the registered scheduled job.
      Here is a list of a subset of testing results with variations, all involved execution of the script as a scheduled job with the switch param declaration uncommented:

1. No switch parameter provided to the Register-ScheduledJob cmdlet – The job shows running indefinitely with no output to the log.
      2. Supply the “-ArchiveAll” switch (tried both with and without quotes) to the Register-ScheduledJob cmdlet with -ArgumentList – Job runs, terminates, no log output.
      3. Register-ScheduledJob -ScriptBlock { & “C:\jobs\JobTest.ps1 -ArchiveAll” } – no log output

Note – For those unaccustomed to working with PowerShell scheduled jobs, be sure to use” UnRegister-ScheduledJob -Name JobTest” between job configuration changes. Do NOT delete the scheduled job via the Windows Task Scheduler UI! This will leave the job metadata on disk (in your profile AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\PowerShell\ScheduledJobs job subfolder) and you won’t be able to register a changed configuration until it is deleted.
      TIA for any clues.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by renenielsen75.
      • This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by grokkit.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.