PowerShell Script to get members from two different AD Groups

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Watters 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Brian Watters
    Participant

I need to create a powershell script that will get the members of two specific AD groups and format them in a nice to read Excel/csv file.

The output includes AD Group Name, Description, and Members. I can get the information by running these individually:
    Get-ADGroupMember "domain admins" |select name |out-file d:\domain-admins.csv
    Get-ADGroupMember "security_admin_group" |select name |out-file d:\security_admin_group.csv

I was looking around the Internets and this looked like it would work but I am not retrieving the AD group name or Description.
    Clear-Host
    $groups = Get-ADGroup "Domain Admins"
    $output = ForEach ($g in $groups)
    {
    $results = Get-ADGroupMember -Identity $g.name -Recursive | Get-ADUser -Properties displayname, objectclass, name

ForEach ($r in $results){
    New-Object PSObject -Property @{
    GroupName = $g.Name
    Username = $r.name
    ObjectClass = $r.objectclass
    DisplayName = $r.displayname
    }
    }
    }
    $output | Export-Csv -path C:\scripts\SecurityGroups.csv

And it is only getting one AD group. Not sure how to make it run again for the other group.

Brian Watters
    Participant

I found this one which does the job.

$groups = Get-Content C:\Scripts\grouplist.txt

$results = foreach ($group in $groups) {
    Get-ADGroupMember $group | select samaccountname, name, @{n='GroupName';e={$group}}, @{n='Description';e={(Get-ADGroup $group -Properties description).description}}
    }

$results

$results | Export-csv C:\Scripts\SecurityGroups.csv -NoTypeInformation

Olaf Soyk
      Participant

Depending on the amount of members in your groups your query would probably speed up a little when you do it like this:

$GroupList = Get-Content C:\Scripts\grouplist.txt

$Results = foreach ($Group in $GroupList) {
      $Description = Get-ADGroup -Identity $Group -Properties Description | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Description
      Get-ADGroupMember -Identity $Group | 
          Select-Object -Property SamAccountName, Name, @{Name='GroupName';Expression={$Group}}, @{Name='Description';Expression={$Description}}
      }

$Results

$Results | Export-csv -Path C:\Scripts\SecurityGroups.csv -NoTypeInformation

This way you don't need to query the description of the group again and again and again .... 😉

Brian Watters
    Participant

Excellent! Thanks for the suggestion.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.