PowerShell string manipulation

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TeeStar 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

TeeStar
    Participant

Hi all

I am having an issue trying to do some basic string manipulation if I have a simple string like

$a="1234567890"

I would like to change say the value of the sixth character regardless of the value. I can't seem to get the proper format to accomplish this.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tim

Kevyn
    Participant

Try this, where 8 is the value replacing the 6th character in the $a variable:

$a.Replace($a[5],"8")

#OR

$a -Replace $a[5],"8"

Kevyn
    Participant

Note that with the .Replace() method, you can only replace the character with a single character, like in the example I gave above. Using the -Replace operator, you can replace the single character with a string.

Kevyn
    Participant

Also, the .Replace() method and -Replace operator will replace all instances of the character you're trying to replace. So, if $a = "12345678690", then if you replace the 6th character, which is a 6 in the string, all 6s will be replaced (example, with the letter 'r').

12345678690 becomes 12345r78r90

Kevyn
    Participant

If you want to make sure you only replace that once instance of whatever is the 6th character(index = 5), then you can do the following.

$a = $a.Substring(0,4),'CharacterOrStringYouWantToReplaceThe6thCharacterWith',$a.Substring(6,$a.Length - 6) -join ""

Curtis Smith
    Participant

Another option.

$a = '1234567890'
    $a.Remove(5,1).Insert(5,"a")

Kevyn
      Participant

Good to know. 🙂

TeeStar
    Participant

Great thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. @Curtis That one was great, it was exactly what I have been looking for.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.