powershell to parse a ETL file payload

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Paul 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

John Dansak
    Participant

hello everyone,
    the post use-powershell-to-parse-network-trace-logs/ and it the closed thing I can find to the problem I trying to solve.
    Basically I'm trying to capture and parse a CDP packet in powershell.

When I do a straight read file in the RAW I see the data there, but it's a mess. I'm not sure any amount of regex magic would ever let me get results back 100% of the time.

When I look at the method in the article , I see the following

ProviderName: Microsoft-Windows-NDIS-PacketCapture

TimeCreated                     Id LevelDisplayName Message                                                                          
    -----------                     -- ---------------- -------                                                                          
    5/22/2017 1:21:27 PM          1016 Information      Capture Rule: Id=InterfaceIndex Directive=EQU ValueLength=4 Value=0x03000000     
    5/22/2017 1:21:27 PM          1016 Information      Capture Rule: Id=Any MAC Address Directive=EQU ValueLength=6 Value=0x01000CCCCCCC
    5/22/2017 1:21:27 PM          1016 Information      Capture Rule: Id=Packet Truncate Bytes Directive=EQU ValueLength=4 Value=0x000...
    5/22/2017 1:21:27 PM          1011 Information      Capture Rules Count=3                                                            
    5/22/2017 1:21:58 PM          1001 Information      Packet Fragment (474 bytes) 

That packet fragment is the CDP pack I need to get my hand on, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to the payload. Do you have any ideas? Of a good method

Test code below:

$Session = New-NetEventSession -Name “Session1a” -LocalFilePath C:\temp\johnwork.etl  -CaptureMode SaveToFile 
    Add-NetEventPacketCaptureProvider -SessionName "session1a" -LinkLayerAddress "01-00-0c-cc-cc-cc" -TruncationLength 1024 -CaptureType BothPhysicalAndSwitch 
    Add-NetEventNetworkAdapter -Name "Ethernet" -PromiscuousMode $true 
    Start-NetEventSession -Name "Session1a" 
    Sleep -Seconds 62
    Stop-NetEventSession -Name "session1a" 
    $log = Get-WinEvent -Path $session.LocalFilePath –Oldest

Remove-NetEventSession -Name "Session1a"

Dan Franciscus
    Participant

I have been playing around with traces as well and I am also stumped. Judging from my tests with Get-WinEvent, there is no way to access it in PS. Have you tried opening the trace file with Microsoft Message Analyzer? There does not seem to be much documentation anywhere.

Paul
    Participant

John, can you provide a file with a few sample records?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.