Powershell toolmaking MOL code download

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of grant little grant little 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of grant little
    grant little
    Participant

So last year I bought Learn Powershell Toolmaking in a Month of Lunches by Don Jones and Jeffrey Hicks and have been learning great stuff from this book. However after downloading from the URL listed in the book: "You can either retype or download the script from MoreLunches.com. "
    the code download is missing the part I'm really interested in: Chapters 23,24 and 25. The zip contains an empty folder for "PowerShell Studio – Ch23-24-25 – Out-GridView".
    I have written to Manning the publisher but the best they do is tell that the zip has the scripts when _they_ download it.
    I have tried downloading from numerous different locations and from different operating systems but the "PowerShell Studio – Ch23-24-25 – Out-GridView" folder is always empty when the zip file unzipped.
    I'm hoping someone here, such as, perhaps one of the authors, can point me to where I can download a _complete_ copy of the scripts. Thanks.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Manning doesn't have the code. I'll drop Jeff an email, though.

grant little
    Participant

Thanks.
    Same results at http://morelunches.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/tool-codelistings.zip empty folder for tool-codelistings.zip\code listings\PowerShell Studio – Ch23-24-25 – Out-GridView

Don Jones
    Keymaster

I know. I checked that :). That's the only location I have control over anyway.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Grant, Jeff and I put our heads together on this. We never wrote any numbered code listings for the GUI chapters; that folder you're looking at was a placeholder that honestly should have been removed. We *did* provide listings for the labs, which are in a different download. While there's definitely code in the chapter, none of it was so lengthy that we intended to put it into the ZIP – and all of it was _partial_ code, meaning none of the code listings formed a full, functional solution. We tried to avoid putting partial, non standalone snippets into formal listings. So, whether that was the right decision or not, it's the decision we made ;). Sorry for the confusion.

grant little
    Participant

Thanks. You two did a great job on that book.

For the second edition please consider removing the tips in ch 24 and 25 that refer to downloads of whole projects.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.