PowerShell v5 classes and DefaultDisplayPropertySet

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hugh Martin 4 days, 18 hours ago.

• Author

Hugh Martin
    Participant

At the end of the following code, I am using DefaultDisplayPropertySet to display only specific properties. Although this works perfectly, running this code within the foreach loop seems excessive. Without resorting to using ps1xml files, is it possible to define the default display properties without doing on each object, for example on the class? Thanks.

foreach ($Object in $Objects) {

#Store desired properties in the new object
    $objDetails = [objInfo]::new() #the class is defined earlier, of course
    $objDetails.Prop1 = $Object.Prop1
    $objDetails.Prop2 = $Object.Prop2
    $objDetails.Prop3 = $Object.Prop3
    $objDetails.Prop4 = $Object.Prop4
    $objDetails.Prop5 = $Object.Prop5

#Set the default properties to be displayed
    $defaultProperties = @('Prop1', 'Prop2', 'Prop3')
    $defaultDisplayPropertySet = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSPropertySet('DefaultDisplayPropertySet', [string[]]$defaultProperties)
    $PSStandardMembers = [System.Management.Automation.PSMemberInfo[]]@($defaultDisplayPropertySet)
    $objDetails | Add-Member MemberSet PSStandardMembers $PSStandardMembers

Write-Output $objDetails
    }

Pradeep Arora
    Participant

This might work: Define a masterobject outside the loop and then use masterobject.copy inside the main loop to create a new object

Hugh Martin
      Participant

OK, your idea worked simply by using the following outside the loop (zero points to me for over-thinking it!):

$objMaster = [HMASQLDbDetails]::new()
      $defaultProperties = @('Prop1', 'Prop2', 'Prop3', 'CompatibilityLevel')
      $defaultDisplayPropertySet = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSPropertySet('DefaultDisplayPropertySet', [string[]]$defaultProperties)
      $PSStandardMembers = [System.Management.Automation.PSMemberInfo[]]@($defaultDisplayPropertySet)
      $objMaster | Add-Member MemberSet PSStandardMembers $PSStandardMembers

and then using this code inside the loop:
      $objMyObject = $objMaster
      $objMyObject.Prop1 = "whatever"
      $objMyObject.Prop2 = "whatever"
      $objMyObject.Prop3 = "whatever"
      etc.

Thanks for the help.

Hugh Martin
    Participant

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do what you're suggesting. I don't see a Copy method on the object.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.