Powershell with excel

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Flynn Bundy Flynn Bundy 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of NetAdminTX

I am not sure if powershell is the best fit for this problem, so if you have another suggestion those are welcome also.

I have an excel spreadsheet, contained in this spreadsheet is a column that contains the username for each record, I need to read this username from say Column B of each row and write the corresponding title from active directory in to say column G of the same row

I can get the active directory title info from get-aduser -property Title
    but I am not sure how to work with the excel spreadsheet (it is actually a CSV if that makes it easier)

Profile photo of Flynn Bundy
    Flynn Bundy

Hey mate,

We can use some fancy selecting to get this job done. here's an example that I'll explain.

$x = Import-Csv C:\Users.CSV | select Username,@{n='Guid';e={Get-ADUser $_.Username | select -ExpandProperty ObjectGUID}}  | Export-Csv C:\Duh.csv -NoTypeInformation 

In this example I have a CSV with two columns. one called Username and one called GUID. As soon as you Import-CSV those Columns become Properties which are now available to you. ( I have this stored in X for convenience) After that I pipe the CSV while selecting Username and also making my own custom header.

In the Custom header I'm calling the Get-ADUser and specifying the $_Username (property) as the username I am looking to match. From there I do an expand on the property I am looking to populate in my GUID column. Once my Custom header looks good I close it off and export-csv with notypeinformation.

You can easily change this to contain a username column and a title colum and just go through the same steps (ie. replace GUID with Title). Think of the custom header as just a single property in your select statement. IE:.

| Select Title,@{n='Custom';e={ Code here } },Guid,samaccountname 

You can add other properties also if required. There is really endless possibilities when using a query like this because you can just run a separate command inside the expression tag and expand the result passing that back to the CSV.

Let me know how you go.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers

@Flynn: Your second example has a pipe ( | ) between Select and the properties. The first example is correct.

Profile photo of Flynn Bundy
    Flynn Bundy

good eye Rob! my typo!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.