PowerShell/WMF 4 for Windows 7 (and Server 2008r2)?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Zemdegs David Zemdegs 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tim Salmon
    Tim Salmon
    Participant

I've played with the preview but does anyone know if PowerShell 4 (Windows Management Framework 4) will be finally released for Windows 7 (and Server 2008 R2)?
    If so, when?
    I imagine that the download page for the preview will be updated to direct people to future full releases but can anyone suggest where the best source of a roadmap and future announcements may be?

Regards,
    Tim

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Yes, it will. Microsoft hasn't specified dates.

This is a community-owned site; we don't have any special knowledge from Microsoft regarding releases or future plans.

Tim Salmon
    Participant

thanks don,
    no, i wasn't expecting official information here, i was just hoping that someone may be privy to info that i hadn't chanced upon.
    i'm really anxious to start making use of this outside of testing. i look forward to any further information that may come forth.
    regards,
    tim

Profile photo of David Zemdegs
    David Zemdegs
    Participant

Its here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40855

And note this from the blog:

"If .NET 4.5 is not installed, the installer will silently fail to install WMF 4.0"

Happy four-ing!

Tim Salmon
    Participant

thanks david,
    i'm so glad this is finally released.
    regards,
    tim

Tim Salmon
    Participant

i note that if i go to the microsoft script centre, this is still not mentioned and the preview (which is now not available) is still offered as the fourth download.
    it may be bias due to my linux background but community info is often so much more useful than official sources.

Profile photo of David Zemdegs
    David Zemdegs
    Participant

Another really interesting thing is that the WMF 4.0 package cannot be installed on Windows 8. If you want WMF 4.0 on Windows 8 you must upgrade to Windows 8.1!
    This is according to this post:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2013/07/02/windows-management-framework-4-0-preview-now-available.aspx

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.