Primary SMTP proxy address change

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nemanja Jovic 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Nemanja Jovic
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I have such a complex task to acomplish(probably complex for me), basically we have one forest/domain that is syncing with O365.
    Primary SMTP address is not leading any specific format, for example first+lastname , for some users it is last+firstname
    We have to get all of the user SMTP addreses, that can be done easy; get-aduser -filter * -property * | where {$_.ProxyAddresses -clike "SMTP*@domain.name"}

Question is, how we can preserve everything before @domain.name , so the user first+last or last+first name don't change, and change only domain name.

Help will be greatly appreciated !

Kind regards,
    Nemanja

Simon B
    Participant

Just to clarify a few things.
    1) Do you want the existing SMTP address preserved as a secondary address?
    2) The new SMTP address you want to be the same as the old one just with a new domain name?

Nemanja Jovic
      Participant

Hi,

We don't want to add secondary SMTP address, we want to change the primary one, as you said, just to change domain while preserving everything behind @domain.name

Kind regards,
      N

Simon B
    Participant

ok assuming you know how to get the users current smtp address to get the bit before the @ sysmbol you could use

$local = $SMTP.local # Where $SMTP is the users SMTP Address

with this you could create the new SMTP address
    $NewSMTP = $Local + "@" + $newdomainname

Then using set-mailbox you will be able to set the new primary SMTP address

Nemanja Jovic
      Participant

This looks excellent, but I am still struggling to complete it, since I am not still really good with parsing informations, advise please if you have some tips 🙂

So I did this for my user for example;

$nemanja = Get-ADUser -Filter * -Properties * | Where-Object {$_.Name -like "nemanja.jovic"}

After I call;

$nemanja.proxyaddresses

But it is coming with multiple SMTP and smtp addresses, how I can parse from here just SMTP for further script process?

Thanks,
      N

Simon B
    Participant

try this

Get-ADUser -Identity -Properties ProxyAddresses | Where-Object {$_.ProxyAddresses -cmatch "SMTP"}

This should only bring back the primary address as it is case sensitive and onlt the primary will have SMTP in caps

Nemanja Jovic
    Participant

This is how I managed to complete this task;

$UserCredential = Get-Credential
    $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
    Import-PSSession $Session
    Get-ADUser -SearchBase "OU=TEST,DC=DOMAIN,DC=GLOBAL" -Filter * -Properties * | Where-object {$_.ProxyAddresses -clike "SMTP:*@domain.global"} | Select-Object UserPrincipalName,SamAccountName | Export-Csv -Path C:\users.csv
    $userobjects = Import-Csv -Path C:\users.csv
    foreach ($user in $userobjects){
    $newdomain = "test.domain"
    $address = ((Get-Mailbox -Identity $user.UserPrincipalName).Primarysmtpaddress).toString()
    $Alias=$Address.Split("@")[0]
    $newsmtp="$alias@$newdomain"
    Set-ADUser -Identity $user.SamAccountName -Add @{proxyAddresses="SMTP:"+$newsmtp}
    Set-ADUser -Identity $user.SamAccountName -Remove @{proxyAddresses="SMTP:"+$address}
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.