1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Participant

The ff statement works just fine

Get-Process | Group-Object -Property PriorityClass

But when I add the second line (to obtain only High and AboveNormal):

Get-Process | Group-Object -Property PriorityClass |
    Where-object {$_.Name -eq 'AboveNormal' -or $_.Name -eq 'High'}

I get the expected (and correct) output, but additionally, the following error message twice:

Group-Object : Exception getting "PriorityClass": "Access is denied"
    At line:2 char:15
    + Get-Process | Group-Object -Property PriorityClass |
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidResult: (System.Diagnostics.Process (Idle):PSObject) [Group-Object], Get
    ValueInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExpressionEvaluation,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GroupObjectCommand

My understanding of Group-objector its syntax when piping to Where-object must be missing something.Would be grateful for any advice or tips.

Participant
    Helping Hand

I cannot explain why this happens but you could try to specify what properties you're after with your Get-Process. At least in my environment it works this way. 😉

Get-Process | 
        Select-Object -Property ProcessName,MainWindowTitle,PriorityClass | 
            Group-Object -Property PriorityClass | 
                Where-Object {$_.Name -eq 'AboveNormal' -or $_.Name -eq 'High'}

Participant

Many thanks Mr Olaf Soyk,

I will most certainly try your suggestion.  This has been mind-boggling ...  At first I wished I had a second laptop nearby to "reproduce" the error — if the error message is to be believed and truly the reason. (no access rights).  But since you experienced the same (I assume, from your response), I now assume this is a reproducible error.

The puzzling thing is it still gave me the correct outputs — i.e., identical to the one-liner (which had additional for Normal and Low priorities).

Thanks again,

Participant
    Helping Hand

It's best to select before a group.
    So, why not just do this....

Get-Process | Select PriorityClass | Group-Object -Property PriorityClass |
    Where-object {$_.Name -eq 'AboveNormal' -or $_.Name -eq 'High'}

Count Name        Group                                                                                     
    ----- ----        -----                                                                                     
        3 High        {@{PriorityClass=High}, @{PriorityClass=High}, @{PriorityClass=High}}                     
        3 AboveNormal {@{PriorityClass=AboveNormal}, @{PriorityClass=AboveNormal}, @{PriorityClass=AboveNormal}}

Or this...

Get-Process | Select PriorityClass | Group-Object -Property PriorityClass |
    Where-object {$_.Name -eq 'AboveNormal' -or $_.Name -eq 'High'} | 
    Select Count,Name

Count Name       
    ----- ----       
        3 High       
        3 AboveNormal

Or even this

(Get-Process | Select-Object PriorityClass) -match 'AboveNormal|High' | Group-Object -Property PriorityClass

Count Name        Group                                                                                     
    ----- ----        -----                                                                                     
        3 High        {@{PriorityClass=High}, @{PriorityClass=High}, @{PriorityClass=High}}                     
        3 AboveNormal {@{PriorityClass=AboveNormal}, @{PriorityClass=AboveNormal}, @{PriorityClass=AboveNormal}}

… as you will note, no error are generated.

Participant

Many thanks, Mr PostaNote ... you have given me excellent examples and they have given me new insights into Powershell.

Much appreciated.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.