Problem running Get-ADUser with variable in ForEach loop

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Problem running Get-ADUser with variable in ForEach loop

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 6

Hi All,

I have file full of userPrincipleName with a single value per line

user1@example.com
      user2@example.com
      etc...

When I try to add these users to a group I am getting an error.  I have tested the commands with a single user successfully so I am confident in the syntax and this should work.

$group = "GroupName"
      $updatedUserFile = "D:\user-file.txt"

# Loop through input file to update groups
      ForEach ($user in ( Get-Content $updatedUserFile)) {

# Remove any extra whitespace
          $user.trim()

# Get AD user object based on FDU NetID and add object to group
          Get-ADUser -Filter {userPrincipalName -eq $user } | Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -MemberOf $group

}

user1@example.com
      Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      At C:\Util\updateMMLab-Authorized-Accounts.ps1:36 char:57
      + ... palName -eq $user } | Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -MemberOf $group
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership], NullReferenceException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.AddADPrincipalGroupMembership

I have tried casting $user to a string as well as assigning it to a variable before using it in the Get-ADUser -Filter commandlet.  Neither worked.  It seems that the Get-ADUser -Filter isn't finding the user.

Thank you in advance,

-Chris

Participant
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 1283
      Helping Hand

Basically, if your user query fails and the user is not found, you are passing a NULL value to Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership, which is the error you are seeing. You should add a search and error handling to your script:

$group = "GroupName"
      $updatedUserFile = "D:\user-file.txt"

# Loop through input file to update groups
      ForEach ($user in ( Get-Content $updatedUserFile)) {

# Remove any extra whitespace
          $user.trim()

# Get AD user object based on FDU NetID and add object to group
          $adUser = Get-ADUser -Filter {userPrincipalName -eq $user }

if ($user) { 
              try {
                  Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -MemberOf $group -ErrorAction Stop
                  'Successfully updated user {0} group membership for {1}' -f $user, $group
              }
              catch {
                  'Failed updated user {0} group membership for {1}' -f $user, $group
              }
          }
          else {
              '{0} was not found in Active Directory' -f $user
          }

}

Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 6

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the quick response.  I will implement the error handling.  While prepping a test file to use with your solution I noticed that my userPrincipleNames were padded with trailing white space.  So to me that means that my trim() is not working.  Have you had to solve this before?

-Chris

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Problem running Get-ADUser with variable in ForEach loop’ is closed to new replies.