problem with mixing output columns using export-csv

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

by willbs at 2013-02-22 13:49:09

i am running powershell 3
    i am running a test and the results go to a csv file

the output of my first test has 3 columns

"`nTest Number `tTest Title `tTest Results" | out-file -filepath C:\TestReport.csv -append
    then i fill in the columns with the test results

then i run the second test, the output of the second test is this code whis has 2 columns

Get-Process | Select-Object name, fileversion | export-csv -path C:\TestReport.csv -notype -append -force

i get this error

export-csv : Cannot process argument because the value of argument "name" is not valid. Change the value of the "name" argument and run the operation again.
    At C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\PowerShell\PS_Check_Process_Version.ps1:4 char:49
    + Get-Process | Select-Object name, fileversion | export-csv -path C:\TestReport.c ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Export-Csv], PSArgumentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Argument,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ExportCsvCommand

if i switch the test order then the 3 columns are placed in the first column

which ever test is run first always appears correctly, it's the second test that looks like crap or i get an error

is there a way to clear or reset things so i can append mixed outputs to the same csv file?

thanks in advance

by mjolinor at 2013-02-22 21:48:26

Powershell won't let you do that, for good reason. Having rows with different numbers of fields and disparate data in the same file essentially renders it "broken" as a .csv file.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.