Author Posts

February 24, 2016 at 8:20 am

I'm trying to use RegistrationKey in an LCM configuration for the first time.

I generated a GUID and put it in C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\DscService\RegistrationKeys.txt on my HTTPS pull server running WMF 5.0. I used the same GUID as the value for RegistrationKey in the ConfigurationRepositoryWeb section of my meta-configuration. I ran the configuration with no errors. I confirmed that the GUID is in the .meta.mof file.

When I run Set-DSCLocalConfigurationManager, I get an error that says, "Registration of the Dsc Agent with the server failed" and "Failed to register Dsc Agent with AgentId ...."

I confirmed the values in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\PSDSCPullServer\web.config on the pull server as described at the end of these articles:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/dsc_nodeid

How to register a node with a DSC pull server

What am I missing?

February 24, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Hey mate,

I made a video recently discussing this topic and how to use it. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDbWeqxS6w

February 24, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Hi,
If you're using URLScan on your IIS, make sure in the AllowVerbs section, you have PUT as one of the allowed verbs.

February 26, 2016 at 9:06 am

Hi Jim,

Were you ever able to work this out? I am getting the same error. I had originally built the DSC pull server with WMF4 installed. I saw a few posts saying they had to delete the website. I updated to the latest version of WMF5 and the xPSDesiredStateConfigurationModule. I then recreated the website and the web.config definately has the line:

add key="RegistrationKeyPath" value="C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\DscService"

I am kind of lost right now.

March 3, 2016 at 6:00 am

I fixed this by rebuilding my pull server with the GUI.

I'd like to go back to Server Core when this gets fixed.

March 7, 2016 at 6:58 am

We've kind of confirmed that pull servers on anything other than full GUI are a problem. I've no idea what to expect in terms of a fix timeframe, though.