Problems adding users to local group

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Felkins Michael Felkins 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Michael Felkins
    Michael Felkins
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to build a web server with several users placed in some local groups.
    I am using the User function in DSC. Here is the error I get.

ConvertTo-MOFInstance : System.InvalidOperationException error processing property 'Password' OF TYPE 'User':
    Converting and storing an encrypted password as plaintext is allowed only if PSDscAllowPlainTextPassword is set to
    true.
    At D:\Scripts\WebRole.ps1:572 char:5

I am setting the Credentials early on in the script lile this:

$SecurePassword = ConvertTo-SecureString "xyz**************"' -AsPlainText -Force
    $Credentials = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential("`$theusername",$SecurePassword)

I then try to set up the user like this:

# Create Local User Accounts
    User Theusername {
    UserName = '$theusername'
    Description = 'Service Account'
    Disabled = $False
    Ensure = 'Present'
    FullName = '$theusername'
    Password = $Credentials
    PasswordChangeNotAllowed = $True
    PasswordChangeRequired = $False
    PasswordNeverExpires = $True
    }

I found one example that says I have to set PSDscAllowPlainTextPassword=$true

But it is unclear where I would put this in my code.

Any help would be great.

TIA

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Have you looked at The DSC Book? There's an example.

Michael Felkins
    Participant

Yes I have, I am using the example in my script. However it does not seem to make any difference.
    I have tried it in the begining of the script and at the end with no luck. It just seems to ignore it.

I am using the "The Easier, Less-Right Way"

I inherited this script from someone who started it, but did not finish. It has many issues that I am trying to solve one at a time.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Mike

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The "allow unencrypted" needs to go in a global configuration block that gets passed into the configuration when you run it. That's shown at the bottom of page 44. It doesn't go IN the configuration, you'll notice. It's a little difficult to troubleshoot further without seeing what you're doing (notice that file attachments must have a .txt extension).

Michael Felkins
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I re-read the section on "The Easier, Less-Right Way" and I realized I wasn't calling the global configuration block when I was running the script.

That seemed to fix that problem. One down 27 to go.

Mike

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.