Problems with computer after installing Windows Management Framework 3.0

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Christopher Cameron
    Christopher Cameron
    Participant

Hi, I recently bought the book, Powershell in a Month of Lunches, and I realized when starting the book I had Powershell version 2.0. The book suggested downloading WMF 3.0, but after downloading and installing, I've encountered a bunch of errors on my computer. I'm running 64-bit version of Windows. The file I downloaded from Microsoft's website is "Windows6.1-KB2506143-x64.msu." Videos won't play in VLC player; the audio is there but the picture is frozen or garbled. Google Chrome also runs extremely slow and I'm using Firefox instead for now but it's acting a little slow too.

Right after installing my screen flashed to a black screen for a second and then reappeared, and an message at the bottom corner of the screen says there was a graphics driver error but it recovered. Later I launched VLC player, but when it started playing a video file, the picture was either messed up or frozen. This was the case for multiple video files I knew that worked in the past. The second problem is with Google Chrome. I launched Chrome and it runs very slowly and when I type in the browser it takes several seconds for the characters to appear on the screen.

I uninstalled WMF 3.0 but I still get errors. I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, but that didn't help either. I tried to go back to an earlier time on my computer using System Restore, but it wouldn't restore to a previous point completely and I'm still stuck with the same problems. I also tried using "sfc /scannow", but that didn't help.

My guess is the problem is related to the graphics driver, but I don't know what to do next to figure it out. A person on another forum suggested uninstalling VLC and Chrome, restarting my computer, and then reinstalling those programs, but I'm still having problems. If this persists I'm going to have to re-image my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

P.S. – Is there any way to get Powershell 3.0 without installing WMF 3.0?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The current edition of the book applies to PowerShell v3 and v4. You don't mention what version of Windows you're using – PowerShell v3 is compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 (it comes with Windows 8). Most of th ebook is in fact applicable to PowerShell v2, as well, although there are obviously some differences.

I've no idea what you're referring to with regard to videos or VLC player. I also can't help you with Google Chrome or Firefox. PowerShell.org isn't Microsoft Product Support; if you believe PowerShell has in some fashion damaged your computer, you would need to contact Microsoft Product Support.

And no, there is no way to get PowerShell 3.0 without installing WMF 3.0. They are one and the same.

PowerShell.org can't provide general support for client computers, unfortunately. We're all unpaid volunteers and simply don't have the resources. We try to stick with questions related to using PowerShell itself. Sorry that you're having problems, though, it does sound frustrating.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.