Properties across Pipeline

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Valentin Pechersky Valentin Pechersky 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Valentin Pechersky
    Valentin Pechersky
    Participant

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to PS and also not a native english speaker so searching sometimes gets hard.

I'm need to get from Exchange all PrimarySMTPAddress with their last logon from a particular domain but I lose properties across the pipeline. Check it out:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*@domain.com"} | get-mailboxstatistics | where {$_.lastlogontime -lt (get-date).adddays(-90)} | select primarysmtpaddress,lastlogontime

The issue is that primarysmtpaddress comes empty, so I'm guessing I'm losing the property value across the pipe:

primarysmtpaddress LastLogonTime
    —————— ————-
    4/10/2014 9:10:59 AM

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Valentin

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Yep, you've got the right idea. The by time you get to your Select call, you're looking at a mailboxStatistics object, which has no PrimarySmtpAddress property. How you deal with this depends on whether you're running PowerShell 4.0 or not. In PowerShell 4.0, they added a new common parameter called -PipelineVariable which can help this situation with a "one-liner" approach like this:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*@domain.com"} -PipelineVariable mailbox | get-mailboxstatistics | where {$_.lastlogontime -lt (get-date).adddays(-90)} | select @{Name = PrimarySmtpAddress; Expression = { $mailbox.PrimarySmtpAddress }}, LastLogonTime

If you're running an older version of PowerShell, then you don't have -PipelineVariable, and have to resort to a loop with a nested pipeline instead. The performance isn't quite as good, and the code doesn't look nice on one line anymore, but the idea is the same:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited |
    where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*@domain.com"} |
    ForEach-Object {
        $mailbox = $_
        $mailbox | get-mailboxstatistics | where {$_.lastlogontime -lt (get-date).adddays(-90)} | select @{Name = PrimarySmtpAddress; Expression = { $mailbox.PrimarySmtpAddress }}, LastLogonTime
    }

Profile photo of Valentin Pechersky
    Valentin Pechersky
    Participant

Awesome, thanks a lot Dave.

Regards,
    Valentin

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.