PS Remoting not available - best Options or suggestions on effectively work

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A PS Remoting not available - best Options or suggestions on effectively work

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 18
      Replies: 28

General question – looking for some general guidance to become more effective with this limitation – perhaps by people in a similar situation

PS Remoting is not available – looking for best Options or suggestions on effectively working around this where possible.

One common pain point is gathering remote event logs for troubleshooting – running these queries remotely massively blows out the time the filtering takes to complete and return the results.  If a remote computer is busy (No RDP Option) and you need the logs and have to resort to remote querying – is there anything you can suggest to help.  I tried to use PSEXEC to launch and run the query from a saved script copied onto the remote machine to get powershell to run locally and then copy the .csv results back afterwards – appreciate any better suggestions – thanks

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 1141
      Helping Hand
      Participant
      Topics: 18
      Replies: 28

I'm possibly not being clear – to gather and filter all the event logs on a remote machine – it is advisable to run the powershell command locally or via a PSSession to have all the filtering done locally?  If I don't have WSMAN access to use powershell remoting, and can't log into the remote machine via RDP, running get-winevent -computername xxxxx from my 'management' workstation is still going to take a much longer time than if I could run this from the machine where the logs reside?

Just trying to get some ideas around what, if any possible solutions there may be to assist here

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 1141
      Helping Hand

Try Get-WinEvent, it has builtin Filter capability which will run on target system and doesn't uses WSMAN and uses EventLog service on the target system.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.diagnostics/get-winevent?view=powershell-5.1

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 5

I have found Get-WinEvent to perform almost as well on a remote system as local. You definitely want to use a FilterHashTable. It provided me with a very significant performance gain. I should note that in my audit script, I am not gathering ALL event logs as you suggest, only Application, System and Security logs.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.