Author Posts

October 12, 2015 at 7:03 am

Hi,
I was just watching the videos "Getting Started with PowerShell 3.0 Jump Start" from the MS Virtual Academy. Great stuff, there's a ton of great information on these videos, would recommend it to everyone. But there was always one question stuck on my mind, that I think Jeffrey and Jason forgot to mention. The question is: What if the PS version on my local machine is greater then the PS version on the remote when I'm doing an Invoke-command to the remote machine?
Is there a best practice that all machines in an environment should run the same PS version? And if so, Is there a method (like a GPO or something) to enforces this?

October 12, 2015 at 7:19 am

WinRM works with all PSversion, well WMF2+

u don't need to have the same WMF on every machine, but u will have to make script taking in considaration the lowest version.(it is allways better to have the same version everywere but not realy possible if u have a mixed infrastructure 2003srv,2012srv ...)

For deployement the package is a msi or msu so easy to deploy with GPO
Check WSUS additionnal Package too.

October 12, 2015 at 7:33 am

@Cyris

But what if I'm testing a bunch of commands locally firs. Then executes these commands by invoke-command on machine A, B and C. Machine A and B have same PS version as my local machine, but C have an older version that doesn't support all of my commands?

October 12, 2015 at 8:09 am

The remote machine simply has to have whatever commands you want it to run. If it doesn't, then they can't run.

But that's not really a "PowerShell version" thing. Most commands aren't tied to PowerShell, they're tied to product, like Windows. Much of what you're thinking of as "PowerShell commands" are add-ins, and can often be installed on different versions.

October 12, 2015 at 8:54 am

@ Don
I see your point. Thanks 🙂