Author Posts

January 5, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I can successfully return my 2012 R2 DCs using this:

Get-ADComputer -Filter * -SearchBase "ou=domain controllers,dc=myCompany,dc=com"

but when trying to run this from page 113

Get-Service -ComputerName (Get-ADComputer -Filter * -SearchBase "ou=domain controllers,dc=myCompany,dc=com" | Select-Object -Expand name)

...I get error:

Get-Service : Cannot open Service Control Manager on computer 'DC1'. This operation might require other privileges.

I am logged onto a DC as my DA account. I launched PS as "Administrator".

Also, the example on pg 116 fails as well with a similar error

Get-Process -ComputerName (Import-Csv .\temp\computers.csv | select -ExpandProperty hostname)

Get-Process : Couldn't connect to remote machine.

..even though the Import-csv outputs my DCs contained in the csv

I have to get past the access denied errors in order to make use good progress with this book.

thank you

January 6, 2016 at 11:35 am

You probably don't want to use the computername switch when you're logged onto a dc. Try it from your desktop using runas. It works for me however the output isn't even practical so I don't know why it would be included as an example.

January 6, 2016 at 12:56 pm

thanks Dan...Run As "my DA account" worked for both gp and gsv examples in this chapter.

1) I have a desktop that I log into as a non-privileged user
2) I launched PS with run as "my DA account" in order execute PS queries against DC's processes and services.

I think the output is not the point other than showing the benefit of the extended piping to PS newbies like me.

thanks again