[PSCredential] Parameter in PSv2

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Justin King Justin King 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Justin King
    Justin King
    Participant

I swear Server 2008 is the new 2003 ... I cringe when I see it now.

Anyway, I'm automating some processes for a client and their company has standardized on ... ugh ... 2008/PSv2. When writing a function under this version I noticed a curious behavior:

If I try to define a parameter of type [PSCredential] it simply "doesn't work": The parameter seems to ever load, won't tab complete, etc. That said, if I prompt for credentials in the script directly with somehting like: [PSCredential]$creds = Get-Credential then everythgin is fine.

Is it a known limitation that PSv2 can't accept PSCredentials as parameters? Or is my syntax just wrong? Do I have to request seperate username and password as securestring?

Looking for advice in "dealing with" PSv2 (aside from telling them to upgrade).

Profile photo of tommymaynard
    tommymaynard

In my testing, as yours, this first example doesn't work in PowerShell 2.0. My second example, however, did work in PowerShell 2.0.

Function Write-Cred1 {
        Param (
            [PSCredential]$Credential
        )
        $Credential
    }

Function Write-Cred2 {
        Param (
            [System.Management.Automation.PSCredential]$Credential
        )
        $Credential
    }

Profile photo of Justin King
    Justin King
    Participant

I could have sworn I tested both examples, but I will retest tonight. Thanks for being a sounding board!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.