PSSession - many computers

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jason Wheeler Jason Wheeler 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jason Wheeler
    Jason Wheeler

I have two scripts that I created, first one tests to make sure the computers are online (from an AD OU) and IF the computer is online, it writes the computer name to a txt file. The second part of the script takes that txt file and I'm attempting to run a script remotely on all the computers, over 400 of them in all.

So my question is in regard to PSSESSION and how to do this on all computers. I know there is a threshold of 32 PSSESSIONs, so how do I get the script to execure on the other hundreds of computers?

First part of my script: gathers the computers that are in an OU, currently ONLINE and writes them to a text file
    $computers = get-adcomputer -Filter {operatingSystem -eq "Windows Embedded Standard"} -SearchBase "OU=OU, DC=DC, DC=LOC"
    foreach ($computer in $computers) {
    $client = $

if (Test-Connection -ComputerName $client -BufferSize 16 -Count 1 -Quiet)
    Write-output $client | out-file c:\temp\online.txt -append
    Write-Warning "$client is offline" 3>> c:\temp\offline.txt

The second part of the script – all I want to do is remove-item (folders and files) and then close the pssession, move onto the next computers
    $pssession = new-pssession -ComputerName (get-content c:\temp\online.txt)
    invoke-command -session $pssession -ScriptBlock {
    $path1 = "c:\temp\*"
    $path2 = "c:\windows\temp\*"
    $path3 = "c:\support\*"
    $path4 = "c:\windows\system32\ccm\cache\chd00329.8.system"
    $path5 = "c:\windows\system32\ccm\cache\chd00329.9.system"

if (test-path -path $path1) {
    remove-item -path $path1 -Recurse
    if (test-path -path $path2) {
    remove-item -path $path2 -Recurse
    if (test-path -path $path3) {
    remove-item -path $path3 -Recurse
    if (test-path -path $path4) {
    remove-item -path $path4 -Recurse
    if (test-path -path $path5) {
    remove-item -path $path5 -Recurse

This seems to work, on 32 computers, but it never goes on to the rest of the computers so I know I'm doing something wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Profile photo of Flynn Bundy
    Flynn Bundy

Hi There, This is not really a job for a PS-Session. You could use Invoke-Command to get this done which has a default throttle limit of 32 nodes. This can be altered with the -Throttlelimit Parameter. That is one option. Here is another option i just quickly put together that targets all machines in the domain. Let me know if you have any questions:

$Computers = Get-ADComputer -Filter * | select -ExpandProperty Name
    foreach ($computer in $Computers) {

if(Test-Connection -ComputerName $Computer -count 1 -Quiet){
    $Files = @{
    Files = "c:\temp\*",

$Remove = New-Object -TypeName PsObject -Property $Files

$Remove.Files | Remove-Item -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 'SilentlyContinue'

Write-Host "Files in $($files.files) have been removed from $Computer" -ForegroundColor Green

Write-Host "$Computer is not online" -ForegroundColor Yellow

Profile photo of Jason Wheeler
    Jason Wheeler

Thanks for the reply, you are absolutely right, this particular use case shouldn't use pssession. I was attempting to use it incorrectly.

Appreciate the help

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.